FedEx Kidnapping

On November, 30 a 7-year-old girl was taken from her front yard. The FedEx driver, Tanner Lynn Horner, was delivering the young girl's Christmas present when he took her. Athena's mother, Maitlyn, called for stricter screening policies for FedEx drivers. Athena and her family lived in Wise County, Texas. Her mother states, “I was robbed of watching her grow up, by a man that everyone was supposed to be able to trust to do just one simple task – deliver a Christmas present and leave.”

A county-wide search was conducted and her body was found that Friday afternoon. It is believed that she was killed within an hour of her kidnapping. The cause of Athena's death is still unknown, as the investigation is still ongoing. The suspect is being held in Wise County jail with a $1.5 bond. He is set to have charges for aggravated kidnapping and capital murder. 

Horner said that he accidentally hit the girl with his delivery truck. He panicked and even though she was not seriously injured he took her with him. Horner was worried that she would tell her father what had happened. I cannot imagine how this family feels after losing their daughter. I'm sure the 7-year-old was terrified when she was taken and had no clue what was happening.

Do you think the driver hit the little girl first?

Should the driver be sentenced to life in jail? If not, what do you think his sentence should be?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/08/us/texas-athena-strand-kidnapping-christmas-present/index.html

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• We still don't know exactly what happened yet but this story is so sad and did not need to happen. In no way did his story make sense at all. Of course, maybe he didn't lose his job but that is no excuse to literally do what he did. He should absolutely be in prison for the rest of his life.

• I think the driver hit the little girl. He opendly amitted to killint the child, and If he just went to the mom about accidently hitting her child andtaking her to the hospital should could have been still alive till this day, and he could have not had the charges. Its obvious he hit her and took her thinking he wouldn't get introuble if he hid the fact well. he didnt and he should be in Jail. 

• I agree, he should be in jail.

• I think that if the driver hit the little girl, then he would have told the parents. if he was mature enough, he would have taken her to the house and called 911 for an ambulance. he is lying to not be setenced a lifetime, but they should really find out the truth. 

• I agree, they need to find out the truth. 

• I don't think that the driver hit the little girl, it would have been quite obvious if a person(especially a person of her size) was hit by a fed ex truck. I think that the driver should face 15-20 years in prison because what he did was wrong and he should have to take responsibility for what he did, whether he hit her or not.

• Yes, I agree you would've been able to tell if she was it.

• I think that the driver did hit the girl because he admitted to killing her so I don't see why he would've switched the story around. Either way he's going to serve time for murder so there would be no point of switching it. The driver should be sentenced for life if not for life then at least 25 or 30 years. 

• Yes I agree, a long time in jail. 

• I personally think that he lied about hitting her with the truck. If that was true he could’ve told the parents about it, so they could take her somewhere for help. I think he should have a life sentence. It is a crime to kidnap and murder people and lying about is even worse.  I think that the whole situation is messed up and if he doesn’t get a life sentence he should get at least 30 years or more.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker