FedEx Kidnapping

On November, 30 a 7-year-old girl was taken from her front yard. The FedEx driver, Tanner Lynn Horner, was delivering the young girl's Christmas present when he took her. Athena's mother, Maitlyn, called for stricter screening policies for FedEx drivers. Athena and her family lived in Wise County, Texas. Her mother states, “I was robbed of watching her grow up, by a man that everyone was supposed to be able to trust to do just one simple task – deliver a Christmas present and leave.”

A county-wide search was conducted and her body was found that Friday afternoon. It is believed that she was killed within an hour of her kidnapping. The cause of Athena's death is still unknown, as the investigation is still ongoing. The suspect is being held in Wise County jail with a $1.5 bond. He is set to have charges for aggravated kidnapping and capital murder. 

Horner said that he accidentally hit the girl with his delivery truck. He panicked and even though she was not seriously injured he took her with him. Horner was worried that she would tell her father what had happened. I cannot imagine how this family feels after losing their daughter. I'm sure the 7-year-old was terrified when she was taken and had no clue what was happening.

Do you think the driver hit the little girl first?

Should the driver be sentenced to life in jail? If not, what do you think his sentence should be?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/08/us/texas-athena-strand-kidnapping-christmas-present/index.html

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Yes, he should be sentenced to life in jail. 

• My belief is that he could have hit her. We can never know for 100% sure if he hit her or not as I don't believe there were any eye witnesses. I think he should be put in jail, I don't know exactly how long he should be put in jail. But I think he deserves time in prison.

• I agree, he deserves time in prison. 

• What happened to the little girl is horrible, but I don't believe he should be sentenced to life, I think that he should get a 15-20 year sentence, and be able to get out on parole. What he did was terrible but I'm sure he's suffering himself and regrets everything he did. I get where he's coming from saying that he was scared about hitting the little girl and I'm sure he did his acts out of fear.

• I disagree, I think he deserves a life sentence. 

• This story is so horrible. The fact that he was delivering her Christmas present is so sad. I think the driver should be sentenced to life in jail. Also, I think they should make stricter laws for fed ex-drivers like the mom wants. 

• Yes, I agree they should make stricter laws. 

• I think that he might have hit her, if that was the case he handled the situation in the wrong way. Kidnapping her and killing her was completely wrong. I think his sentence should be life in jail, kidnapping and killing is a big crime and he has caused a lot of pain in many peoples lives. 

• Yes, he has caused much pain in many people's life. 

• I have no idea if the driver hit the girl first or not and that is not for me to decide or determine, but even if he had he should have not taken her, he should have told the parents. Same thing for weather or not he should have life in jail or not, that will not be decided by me. The mother thinks that FedEx should have stricter screening policies. This I feel is more dificult because there will always be bad people and some people can get past screening and if there is screening then there will be a need for more people to do that job.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker