FDA puts a stop on "illegal" cancer treatments

The Food and Drug Administration is putting an end to products that claim to cure or prevent cancer. Once it was believed to be "cruel deception", the FDA sent out multiple warnings to over 10 companies that were selling the fraudulent products, such as creams, ointments, pills, etc.. The companies are required by law to either rid of the products or stop claiming to cure, diagnose, or prevent cancer. If the companies fail to do that, legal action will be taken. Most of the companies have decided to pull the products from the market, while some have deleted all advertising for the product. The reason they want to get rid of these products is because a person could end up relying on them and prevent them from seeking actual treatment.

Read story here

- If you were one of the companies, would you choose to stop selling the product, change advertising, or not do anything at all? Why?

- Does it make sense that the FDA would want to stop the companies? Explain.

---

Opinion:

I would choose to stop selling it because the products could be harmful to consumers. 

Yes, because the companies shouldn't falsely claim that they have any effect on cancer if they don't. It also keeps people from getting help for their cancer.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well done Padyn!

• If I was a company I would stop producing because it could ultimately get me in more trouble than I am in now selling the product. Even though it would be hard to shut down your company, it is something that needs to be done. In my opinion, it makes complete sense that the FDA would want to put a stop to this; people could rely on these products instead of seeking real treatment. 

• I agree, companies should not falsely advertise products that will "cure" cancer. I would choose to stop selling the products and change my advertising, because I would rather change my business than get shut down. 

• I'd pull them off the market because it would look bad for my company to sell false beliefs and it's not right for the people buying them. It makes a lot of sense that the FDA wants to remove them because they're tricking people into believing all of those things.

• Yes because i wouldn't want to get my company in any trouble that could get us sued. Yes because they want to make sure everything is controlled and safe to prevent any legal problems and health risks to patients. 

• I agree with you on the suing part because you could lose a lot of money and popularity of your company for that.

• I would immediately stop advertising and pull all the products off the market. I would do this because like it said above people will focus more on these products than actually seeking medical help which could result in death. The FDA is making the right choice I think in putting an end to this and making sure the people are not being lied to by the companies. 

• If I was one of these companies I would be ashamed to pull such a scam on the people who are diagnosed with cancer. it is not fair or tolerable to do this to people. I would discontinue the product and practically apologize to the people I had scammed. 

Yes. it makes absolute sense to ask companies to discontinue their products. 

• I would stop selling it immediately, because of all the backlash that would occur if people found out that whatever i was selling didn't work  It makes sense that the FDA would want to stop these companies from falsely advertising things that do not work, and give the people something that works 

• I would stop selling it because of what the repercussions would be if I continued to sell it.  Yes because they shouldn't be able to claim that they affect cancer if they really don't.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker