FDA puts a stop on "illegal" cancer treatments

The Food and Drug Administration is putting an end to products that claim to cure or prevent cancer. Once it was believed to be "cruel deception", the FDA sent out multiple warnings to over 10 companies that were selling the fraudulent products, such as creams, ointments, pills, etc.. The companies are required by law to either rid of the products or stop claiming to cure, diagnose, or prevent cancer. If the companies fail to do that, legal action will be taken. Most of the companies have decided to pull the products from the market, while some have deleted all advertising for the product. The reason they want to get rid of these products is because a person could end up relying on them and prevent them from seeking actual treatment.

Read story here

- If you were one of the companies, would you choose to stop selling the product, change advertising, or not do anything at all? Why?

- Does it make sense that the FDA would want to stop the companies? Explain.

---

Opinion:

I would choose to stop selling it because the products could be harmful to consumers. 

Yes, because the companies shouldn't falsely claim that they have any effect on cancer if they don't. It also keeps people from getting help for their cancer.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• If I were one of the companies, I would stop selling products because I wouldn't want to harm any of the people who bought them, and I wouldn't want to get in trouble with the FDA. Yes, it makes sense that the FDA wants companies to stop selling because if people have cancer, they need to find a real medicine and treatment to cure the disease because it can be very serious. 

• I would change the advertising and possibly perfect the treatment to not be harmful to anyone of its consumers. It does makes sense because the product was harming people and it needs to be stopped as soon as possible.

• I, myself, would stop selling these horrible products; they’re endangering the lives of many people, potentially killing them. Although, you have to take into consideration why these companies do this, which unfortunately is for money. I completely support the FDA’s decision to stop the companies false advertisement. It’s saddening to think corporations could continue lying to the public.

• I personally would stop selling the product, but companies are in it for the money and more than likely won't back down. Promising a miracle (considering there isn't a cure for cancer...yet) is and should be a crime. It definitely makes sense that the FDA would want to stop the companies. They are just trying to protect the people it is affecting because that is their job.

• I would stop selling the product all together because I wouldn't want the patient to rely on my company to get rid of their cancer because it would not be a scientifically proven treatment because it's illegal. Yes because the FDA is just looking out for the people with cancer because by them relying on the products that claim to heal the people of their cancer, that it stopping them from going to an actual doctor and getting help for that.

• You're right, the FDA is just looking out for the patients. I can see how the companies wouldn't see this action as helpful towards them, but it really is and could potentially save a life or lives

• I would honestly stop selling them because people could stop going to them doctors and start relying on these instead when the pill etc.. don't do any good. I think that it makes sense the FDA did say something because it's their job to regulate the drugs going out from companies and creating a consumer safe environment.

• Well honestly depends on the effects and what it does. But I see the government is involved which means you can't necessarily trust a hole lot of what they are saying.  My answer to the second question is kind of the same thing.

• I see what you're saying. So basically in that situation they should change the advertising? It is pretty likely that the product won't cure cancer, so maybe changing the details of the product would work. 

• Yes because I wouldn't want to false advertise something and make someone believe that they are getting better when they actually aren't. Of course, because they don't want those products out there false advertising, it is their job to regulate prescription drugs. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker