Electric Aviation

André Borschberg, a Swiss entrepreneur, is working on getting electric motors in plains. Last summer he designed and flew the solar impulse 2 which was a electric glider powered by solar panels that covered the wings. The Solar impulse 2 flew all the way around the world while being fully electric. André has now launched his new company, H55 and they have announced there first Aircraft, the Aero1.  This plane is not a new design though, it is just a retrofitted single seat aerobatic flyer. It Might not take off and land vertically like the (VTOL) that Uber wants, although that not what André was designing it for. He wants his planes to be realistic, not futuristic. Rather that producing airplanes, H55 plans to make electric propulsion systems. This way they could make the systems and then have people introduce them to there own airplanes. H55 says the reason that they are designing electric propulsion systems is "there Simple". No more checking oil, fuel levels, or preheating the engine just turn it on and fly. 

LINK

Question 1 - What are your feelings on electric flight? 

- I feel like electric flight is the future for all aviation. Its more efficient, better for the environment, and like H55 its simple.

Question 2 - Do you think that using old planes to test there theory is a good idea or bad and why?

- I think its a good idea, by doing this they are wasting less time making new planes which would leave more time to streamline there equipment.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that this will be a good way to save a lot of energy and save the ozone layer. It will keep the ozone layer how it should be. I think that it is a bad idea because the planes are old and have a lot of wear and tear on them. 

• I think that the electric flight would be very useful for mailing packages and letters, but I wouldn't want it for personnel flying. I think that it is a good Idea to compare them to the old planes, because they could revise the new planes, and make them better in more areas than the old planes.

• I'm not really sure what they would be used for, but they seem like a good, rational idea if they're carrying cargo. If they're carrying passengers, I don't think I would trust an electric auto pilot to take me to my destination safely. They should use old planes to compare to the new planes to work out potential kinks in the system.

• This isn't an "autopilot" it is just a new system of propulsion. It is safer for the environment, easier to use, and more reliable than the old gas engines. From the beginning of aviation we have been making advancements.  I'm sure that when they first wanted to put a gas engine in a plane people where worried but it worked out so we have to at least test this theory to see if it will be better.

• I agree with you, macy. If I were a passenger I would probably prefer that an old, gas engine be used just because of the known reliability. Until more is known about these electric engines, I will stick to the old engines.

• I feel like as long as the flights are safe then I don't see a problem with them, as long as they don't harm the people or the environment, and still get people from one place to another the it should be ok. I feel like this is a good idea because it is saving time.

• Electric flight in my opinion is a good idea, its more efficient and better for the environment. I don't think that using old planes is the best idea because old planes are more than likely gong to have problems like flying than newer cheaper planes. 

• I think that electric flight is a really good idea, because it is better for the environment and people. I think that it is a good idea to use the old planes because if they don't work at first, there would be no use to use a new plane and ruin it. 

• Its more efficient and better for the environment. It could be a good idea, because they wouldn't have to continue to build new ones, but the old planes aren't the same as the new ones. 

• I think that the electric flight is a good idea, it will be best for the people and the environment. I don't think using old planes is probably the best idea. Old planes are more than likely going to have difficulties flying than newer cheaper planes. The older planes won't be as safe. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker