Drug addicts: Do they need help or punishment?

Addiction is a brain disease. Repeatedly taking drugs or alcohol can cause your brain to change. Addiction is a progressive disease if not treated the addiction will just get worse. Causing them to be irritable, sudden weight loss, slurred speech, and small or enlarged pupils. People who are arrested for drug related crimes get at least 10 years of incarceration. They still have access to drugs in prison if they want them badly enough.  

I believe that addiction should be treated instead of punished. Nobody should have their parent, guardian, or child taken away because of a brain disorder. I know what some of you are going to say, “it was their choice”, “they made the choice to do it”. It’s not that simple drugs and alcohol are an addiction, it may start out with someone choosing to do them. Over time if they keep using them they can get addicted to it in less than a week. Once they decide that it's not good for them and need to stop they will try but it will not always work that way. 

What do you think should drug addicts be treated or punished?

If they should be treated, why?

If they should be punished, why?

https://www.pyramid-healthcare.com/addiction-treatment-or-punishment-which-works-best-long-term/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that drug addicts should get help but still face some consequences for their actions. When they get help they need to be taught how to learn good skills so they stop using drugs. I think their first punishment it should be pretty light; however, after that, they get bigger punishments. Hopefully, after they get help they stop using and start living life without it. 

• I think that drug addicts should recieve treatment in order to help them get better, but they should also face the consequences for their crimes. Along with that, part of recovering should be learning how to manage their addiction and helping them cope with their urges. Drug addicts should be able to recieve help with recovery before they are released in order to prevent incidents like this in the future. 

• I think that drug adicts should be treated and helped but should also be punished for doing illegal things. I think that thye shouldnt have a high punishment if its their first offense but after that they should have a bigger punishment for not learning the first time.

• Yes I get that yeah they are doing something illegal but should they really be taken away from there family because of a mistake thay made and who ar trying there hardest to grt better. I get if thay aren't doing all of that then yes they should be taken to rehab. 

• I think drug addicts should be treated and punished because they chose to do it but others they need help by getting clean. I think they should be treated so they can chose not to do it anymore and come clean. Also I think they should be punished because like i said they chose to do drug and get themselves in trouble.

• I think that an addiction can be much more complicated than it just "being a choice made". That's why I think that drug addicts should get help instead of punishment. I don't think that they are bad persons just because they have an addiction and need help. 

• Yes and most people dont understand that addiction is soooo much more complicated then people make it out to be. Yes they are not just bad people because they have an addiction. They have something theyneed help with.

• I don't think they need to be punished somewhat for having it for being illegal and them doing it but they should get help first and they do need to be punished to a certain extent.

• I think drug addicts should be treated before any punshment. They need to understand they need to be clean if they want to have a chance of sucess. They need to be clean to have a healthy relationship with thier family. And they need to be clean to start helping themselves. They need to get clean and stay clean and prove they are better.

• I feel that addicts should be helped. addiction is an illness. an illness that is very hard to get rid of. unless they have done some crime like murder then they should be helped not put in a place that can enable them. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker