Dog rescued after buried alive in sinkhole

A 12 year old German shepherd in Missouri barely survived after being buried in a sinkhole for 72 hours. The hunt for Maverick started February 4th after he wandered from his home in Parkville, north of Kansas. His owner Lisa Van Valkenburgh said that he had on his invisible fence collar, but that didn't stop him from walking out of bounds. They kept searching, but they couldn't find the dog. Finally Lisa Valkenburgh heard a faint howl come from under ground by the road. She found her dog buried alive, clinging to life. The rescue authorities came to help; they finally got the dog out! They took him to they vet where he was taken care of. The owners said that the dog will no longer wander out of the yard since his electric collar had been traded for a tethered leash. 

Questions

1. What would you do if your dog was in this situation?

2. How would you act?

3. What would be a better way of controlling the dog other than putting him on a tethered leash?

Opinion: 

I think that it is terrible that the owners of the dog had to find their dog almost dead in a sinkhole! I'm glad that the dog survived, but that poor dog was buried in the ground for hours! I would freak out if my dog went missing and I found it almost dead! I feel like I wouldn't put it on a tethered leash, I would at least try to train it not to wander first. Then if that didn't work then I would go to that last resort.

Story: Dog buried

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well done!!

• I would probably cry for a long time considering that I can't find my dog. I would be so worried too. I would search every single part of the area or town until I found my dog. I have y dog on a tethered leash so maybe they could just have him be an inside dog.

• I would call for someone to come help because as much as I love my dog sink holes are dangerous and I don't know how to handle them. Fencing in your yard or making sure someone is outside with them. 

• I am soo happy the dog is okay! I would have probably comforted and talked to my dog and calling 911 like they did. A fence would be a better idea, but it is more expensive. Maybe the owners are planning on buying one eventually.

• I would be sad if my dog was in this situation, but I would be so happy if they saved him from the sinkhole.  They could train the dog not to wonder, but if that doesn't work they could put up a tall fence to keep him from wondering.  

• I would be sad too if my dog got stuck in a sinkhole and I couldn't find her! I hope the leash works out fine for the dog! Yes, I agree it would probably save time if you just put up a fence for the dog!

• I would jump down into the sinkhole and get my dog. I would risk my life for any animal because I love all of them so much. I would probably be scared for my dog, but I would get over myself and save my dog. Let the dog be inside with you the owner. I think that they call dogs a man's best friend for a reason they need to be with you in order to be your best friend. 

• I don't think it would be a great idea to jump into the sinkhole because you would most likely also get stuck! I think they did the right thing and called someone for help who knew what they were doing! I would be so scared for the dog also!

• I don't think it would be a great idea to jump into the sinkhole because you would most likely also get stuck! I think they did the right thing and called someone for help who knew what they were doing! I would be so scared for the dog also,=!

• I would be scared for him and be so glad that hes out of that sink hole and don't have to worry every night. I would act scared and want to help out to save my own dog. I would put him in a kennel.  Other wise put a fence up so it wont get loose. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker