Does social media do more bad than good?

Everyone has some sort of social media. Is that better for us? or worse? Almost everything gets tossed around on social media, it's the fastest way of gossip. Although social media can be good for learning purposes like watching what's happening around the world, asking siri questions like, “What's the perfect time to toast bread” things like that. But there's another side of social media where people are mean or they make rumors about someone, post explicit pictures for “revenge” on people. The majority of bad is comments on posts. It always makes me think about the phrase your parents used to tell you, "if you have nothing nice to say, dont say it at all."

Anything can be said when you're hiding behind a screen and you won't have consequences for saying anything bad. I think a lot of people use social media this way. Even if they don't intend to, just putting something that could be a joke to you and your friends, could be taken as an insult by the other person. I think social media does more bad than good. There are plenty of good things on social media, however even a harmless video of someone's new puppy, people comment things on and try to turn it into something bad. 

Do you think social media does more good or bad? 

What's the last thing you did on social media?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I personally believe that social media does more bad than good because it can really twist the truth when it comes to a story and I also think that it hurts teens the most because of cyber bullying and the way you can just attact somone from a different screen and not have the consequences.

• I do think that social media does more bad than good for many reasons. I think it hurts a lot of teens either it being cyber bullying, bad advertisements, or crazy body standards. The last thing I did on social media I think was scroll through tik tok or open snaps I forgot.

• I agree, I think crazy body standards are one of the biggest problems on the internet which gets advertised more than it should. 

• Yes, I personally feel social media does more harm than good. Social media influences lots of kids and teenagers. Many of the things social media advertises are inappropriate or false. However, social media can also be a way for people to express themselves and spread their opinions. The; last thing I did on social media is scroll through TikTok. 

• It can be good and bad it just really depends on how you use it. I like to scroll through things and try to be really positive on the internet but I like to debate on things I truly believe on. The last thing I did on social media was just scrolk through Facebook market place

• I agree,however, debating on what you believe in and arguing or cyber bullying are differnt things though. People usually cant tell the difference. 

• I think that whether social media is good or bad depends on the person that is using it. Some people on social media take it for granted and use it to say what they can’t in public. When I use social media it is to do something when I am bored. Last thing I did on social media was scroll through Pinterest.

• i agree,  some people abuse the interent and then it gets ruined for people who use social media for good.

• I think that nowadays social media does more good because a lot more people use social media. I believe it wouldn't reach older people and if that's your goal, you should advertise it on television. I think that some social media can cause some problems though.

• I think that social media can do way more good than bad, but it depends on how you use it. If you use social media by posting things expecting validation, and if they don't get lots of likes then you're sad and it can send you down a very bad path of doing bad things just for online validation. On social media there are also many people that have bad intentions. The last thing I did on social media was scroll on tiktok.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker