Does Social Media Contribute to Teenage Suicide?

Social media is a big part of lives today. From tiktok to snapchat, many teenagers find themselves spending most of their time on social media. Within social media, there is cyberbullying. Kids have been subject to harrassment and bullying from kids in their school. Online mesages, videos, photos, or anything that can make someone feel bad and down about themselves all can lead to one subject. Suicide is the second-leading cause of death among people ages 10-34. Though there are ways to prevent teenage suicide, there is no way to tell if someone is being bullied until they attempt. 

As a teenager, I believe social media does contribute to teenage suicide. Many kids are bullied through social media apps like snapchat, tiktok, or instagram. Though bullying is common in teenagers everywhere, there will be a chance to save someone you know. Bullying happens often in our school. I have been bullied, others have been bullied, and there are bullies. Nobody known what is going on in someones life. No matter how much you dislike or despise someone, bulling is not the answer.

Do you think social media contributes to teenage suicide? Why?

Reminder: You are never alone. Call or text 988 for help.

https://jedfoundation.org/mental-health-and-suicide-statistics/

https://www.americashealthrankings.org/explore/health-of-women-and-children/measure/teen_suicide/state/ALL

https://www.nami.org/Your-Journey/Kids-Teens-and-Young-Adults/What-You-Need-to-Know-About-Youth-Suicide

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do believe that social media continbrutes to teenage suicide. Social media such as facebook and snapchat can lead to alot of peer pressure. private converstaionad threats happen, through social media. I do believe that teenage suicide, comments from the threats that happen on the app called snapchat, as you can create a fact account and get anyone to accept your request to be a friend, as snapchat has become a common form of communication by teenagers. Snaochat groups and such can created and it can lead to bullying a student, threats to the student, and they may never who the person is that they are actually talking to. those are the reason i do believe that social media can and does coontibute to teenage suicide.

• I agree that snapchat is the biggest platform for bullying. Many kids use it all the time. There are people adding each other almost everyday. Many kids use it, and now it is easy for kids to be able to bully anyone without having to face the consequences.

• This reply was deleted.
    • I agree that there is a safer option of going about how to handle online bullying situations. I believe everyone has a right to living and bullying stands in the way of that. It may be hard to overcome bullying, but there are people out there who want to help.

• I think social media is a huge part of it. People are brutal because they can say whatever they want and stay hidden behind a screen. Cyber bullying is also super popular expecially since kids are getting phones at much younger ages and exposed to the internet which can be a pretty toxic place. 

• Cyber bullying happens all the time on the internet. As people get older and teenagers turn into adults, they will continue the bullying they have always done. Nobody is perfect, but there will always be a chance to choose the right way to go about things.

• I think that social media is a big part of bullying because the amount of cases of online bullying is more then all bullying combined. I think if you have snapchat, instagram, or anything else that you should be careful with people you dont know. 

• Bullying is hard to stop when it is through social media. Fake accounts and deleting messages can be so easy for the people who are in the wrong. There are ways you could get away like talking to a trusted adult or blocking them.

• I believe social media can sometimes contribute to teenage suicide because there can be bad comments or many people influencing people. This can end up in a bad way and ending up with somebody's life because of the pressure and low self confidence some poeple have because of this apps.

• I agree. Many kids can learn about being mean from parents, and they proceed to think how it is ok. Children's minds are so susceptible to learning new things. This goes through the teenage years. Being broke down over social media and through bullying can cause the teenager to feel worthless and uncared for.

• TW: ED’s Suicide

I do believe that social media contributes to a lot of the problems with teenage suicide. I believe that all social media platforms have a dark side and it's mostly bullying and harassment. Not only that, nowadays it is not uncommon to stumble across negatively influential content on any social media platform that could aid in causing things such as body dysmorphia, eating disorders, anxiety, and/or depression. I think the worst of it all is cyber bullying, which is a big issue today and it can cause people to commit suicide.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker