Does music with foul language really affect teens?

As we all know, music these days has lots of profanity and talks about things that aren’t very appropriate, but does it really affect the way teens are? A lot of people think that explicit music influences their kids into doing bad things. According to “Is explicit music harmful to kids,” it says “Ultimately, kids will be ok with seeing most of the violent and sexual tv, and the same goes for explicit music. The kids will be affected little to none.”  Then in the article "Profanity in Music: Should it be censored" It says  “Why should it be censored?” So, why should it? Many adults say it shouldn’t because it “gets into people’s minds.” They think children might get “brainwashed” by the bad words. But children say differently."

In my opinion I think that music with explicit lyrics really don't affect kids in any way. It might give them new words to add to their vocabulary, but that's about it. 

Do you think it affects kids? 

What is your opinion on songs with explicit lyrics?

https://scienceleadership.org/blog/is_explicit_material_harmful_to_kids

https://sxustudentmedia.com/profanity-in-music-should-it-be-censored/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• In my opinion, music that contains foul language and or obsenity doesn't affect the way that teens think. I listen to music with foul language, references to drugs,etc, but I don't go arould doing drugs or 'saying my mind' to people out on the street. 

• Yes, its not like im going to listen to song about drugs then go do a whole bunch of them. But cussing is a normal thing in everyday life. You will hear it everywhere you go and you really cant control what other people say.

• As someone who listens to music everyday and some songs have foul language. I don't think that it plays much of a difference. I don't feel violent or anything like that when listening to it. All it really does is just help you chill or get you pumped up. 

• In my opinion it doesn't affect me but it might affect kids that are listening to it, but some kids could be listening to horrible and they can't control their speaking or not be able to handle their decisions. I think that songs with explicit lyrics are fine because if they want to say it then they can and they said what they wanted to say and they it's up to them if they want to or not.

• In my opinion it does not affect me but it may affect some kids but I could be listening to something really horrible but since I can control a lot of things then I know not to make those decisions or make bad decisions. It also depends on the day that your having and if you decide to be bad that day or not. Your in control of how you do things and what you dont do.

• I mean yes your music can depend on your mood but even "happy" or upbeat music can still have cuss words, but you can be in control the version of the song you listen to by picking the clean version.

• In my opionion profanity in music or expicit content in movies does NOT affect us teens, we learn one way or another. And with certain parents saying it does, I gaurentee they listened to profanity filled music or watched the most violent movies. Teens will find something on the internet and learn about it, but it doesn't mean this affect us negativily. 

• Exactly. Kids will learn lots of things from movies and songs, but if their parents don't let them they will learn a different way. My parents growing up weren't supervised and listened to Snoop Dogg and watched the wost movies.

• I think that explicit music doesn't have an effect on kids or teens at all because if you think about it they're gonna hear the words either way so it doesn't really matter if they hear it in a song or a tv show and the majority of kids and teens use foul language so they've probably heard it before. 

• I don't think that the explicit lyrics affects kids that much because if anything they are going to be singing along not understanding what the lyrics actually mean. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker