Does music with foul language really affect teens?

As we all know, music these days has lots of profanity and talks about things that aren’t very appropriate, but does it really affect the way teens are? A lot of people think that explicit music influences their kids into doing bad things. According to “Is explicit music harmful to kids,” it says “Ultimately, kids will be ok with seeing most of the violent and sexual tv, and the same goes for explicit music. The kids will be affected little to none.”  Then in the article "Profanity in Music: Should it be censored" It says  “Why should it be censored?” So, why should it? Many adults say it shouldn’t because it “gets into people’s minds.” They think children might get “brainwashed” by the bad words. But children say differently."

In my opinion I think that music with explicit lyrics really don't affect kids in any way. It might give them new words to add to their vocabulary, but that's about it. 

Do you think it affects kids? 

What is your opinion on songs with explicit lyrics?

https://scienceleadership.org/blog/is_explicit_material_harmful_to_kids

https://sxustudentmedia.com/profanity-in-music-should-it-be-censored/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do not think it affect teens. All music can have an impact. People are defined by the type of music they listen too and music can help people cope. I believe that music is a story of life. I think that music is an escape from all the problems you face and gets you thinking about something else. I listen to music all the time. Its relaxing and calming. 

• I don't think that that explicit music affects teens at all, I hear worse things in school then i do an any music.  most of my music has curse words in it now its hard to find songs that don't accept kids bop. I think that having explicit lyrics is fine theres nothing wrong with it.

• It's very true that you hear a lot worse things in school sometimes than you do in music. Teens don't want to listen to kids bop, we listen to lots of artists who have no filter in their songs.

• I don't think it affects kids and "bad" words shouldn't be a thing. It's just a word and yeah it may not be nice but obviously watch how you saw them and who you say them to. But in songs I think it wouldn't effect anyone even younger kids.

• I agree that they are just words and using them is an everyday thing for a lot of people. Yes, kids shouldn't say them, but it will happen if they hear it.  If you watch how you say them, you should be fine, but kids singing them to me isn't a big deal.

• I personally don't think explicit music makes teenagers do bad things, because you are responsible for your actions and I don't think someone could be so dumb as to do something a song told them to(or at least I hope so), but I do think explicit music might change the way they think about something or the way they react to it, like violence, drugs or racism. I think that being constantly exposed to this kind of language or to the topics this type of music touches might make kids normalize it and not react to it properly when facing it in the real world.

• I agree that it can change the way people can think about somethings, but I think that younger kids don't understand a lot of the words or things that the songs were talking about. It might normalize using "bad" words, but i dont thing it would normalize anything else.

• I do not think music with foul language affects kids it all depeneds on the type of song it is. I like music and all kinds of music and music has not changed me or neither have I seen it change anyone. I personally do not think that foul language music affects anyone.

• I think that music, along with TV shows and other influences, affect the childhood of many young children. However, for kids our age who have already been exposed to so much, it doesn't affect them near as much. Because there is so much out there that is open and available to the public, there really is no limit to what a child can listen too or watch, so unfortunately there isn't much we can do to prevent kids from listening to songs with explicit lyrics. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker