Does DEF serve a purpose?

After 2010 tractors, pickups, and almost every diesel machine over 75 horse power is required to have DEF. For those you who don't know DEF is fluid pumped just like gas to a small motor that cleans the exhaust. Some people have the DEF deleted, which is technically illegal, but it will effect your vehicles performance. Many people do not delete their equipment because nobody will legally work on it. Sure, DEF may help the environment, but I do not think it is worth it. DEF causes too many issues and can limit engine power. Lots new machinery is fully functional aside from the issues with DEF occasionally.

Many people in the market for a diesel pickup, semi, or tractor look for older equipment that does not have DEF. The older equipment has proved its longevity and reliablity. It is key for big machinery operators to have reliable equipment. It is hard to find the right thing to buy because the newer stuff has DEF and the older has more wear to it. I know of many people who like older stuff rather than the new government regulated junk.

Personally, I think DEF has more of a negative impact than anything. It would be nice if they could still make trucks from the 2006-2008 range. I can see a trend of people buying those older trucks because they are more reliable.

Do you think DEF is actually helpful?

Do you know anyone who uses machines with DEF?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think that DEF is actually helpful. It can reduce the amount of power a tractor,, truck or even a semi can get. Sometimes the equipment needs all the power it can get to do its job. DEF is just another caust that people have to buy that is not neccarilly needed. My dad uses DEF in most of our equiment and he does not like it. 

• Yes, I agree. I can see both sides of it. People who operate machinery will more than likely not be in favor of DEF. I personally think that DEF is not helpful enough to use. I think that we should let people use deleted vehicles cause it makes more power and does a better job.

• I don't think DEF should be used if its illegal. IF you want your vehicle to preforme  better than you can take it to get fixed or somthing. I don't know if there are any DEF in the area, so I don't know if anyone I know uses it with their machines.

• In my opinion, I don't think that DEF should be used because although it might be good for the environment it causes a lot of problems. Some people put more DEF in a vehicle to make up for its poor quality.  Therefore DEF should not be used anymore.

• I dont think that DEF should be used because although it might be good for the environment it causes a lot of problems. If the longer equipment without DEF is working fine and doesnt have any issues than we shouldnt start trying to fix anything if it works fine now. 

• I can see both sides of it. People who operate machinery will more than likely not be in favor of DEF. I personally think that DEF is not helpful enough to use. I think that we should let people use deleted vehicles cause it makes more power and does a better job.

• I am not very familiar with this topic but from my understanding I think they are bad because I know a lot of people who like that range of trucks because of the simple tecnology. As well as they are more realiable. 

• I don't know a lot about this topic but there sounds to be a lot of good and bad. DEF does clean the exhaust and limit some of the greenhouse gasses coming out of our vehicles. However, it can also do some damage to your vehicle. Some people put more DEF in a vehicle to make up for its poor quality.  

• I can see both sides of it. People who operate machinery will more than likely not be in favor of DEF. I personally think that DEF is not helpful enough to use. I think that we should let people use deleted vehicles cause it makes more power and does a better job.

• Maybe, but there could be complications as well. I don't think I know anyone that uses DEF but I could. I'm just not that invested in them to ask that, or the topic. I do agree that older trucks are more reliable, but newer cars do have some cool tech though. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker