Does class size affect productivity?

There is a debate between teachers and students whether productivity increases or decreases depending on the number of students in a class. 9 in 10 teachers agree that smaller class sizes are more effective than bigger size ones. According to research, students perform better in smaller classes. The most famous study of class size reduction took place in Tennessee in 1985. They decided to reduce the amount of students from kindergarten through third grade. It resulted that students in classes from 13 to 17 students surpassed scores compared to classes from 22 to 25 students. 

Some benefits of small class sizes are: greater classroom engagement, higher attendance, less distractions and it can allow teachers to give a more individual and personalized attention. Smaller classes also help students build more confidence and friendshipness with other children in the class as interaction is easier between them.

Some cons about smaller classes are: the children do not learn how to interact with a larger group of people. When doing presentations, most students show they are confident to do it in a smaller group but when having to deal with a bigger class all their confidence is lost. This could have a negative effect in the future when having to interact with large groups of people. 

I believe that class size can affect students' productivity and effectiveness. Having less people in a class can increase effectiveness and make students more engaged. However, I think there should be any day of the week where classes enlarge their number so students can learn how to deal with bigger size groups of people and interact with more people. 

Do you think smaller classes are more effective?

Do you think parents should get to choose if they want a bigger or smaller class for their children?

Sources:

https://www.chalkbeat.org/2022/6/10/23162544/class-size-research#:~:text=Research%20suggests%20that%20students%20perform%20better%20in%20smaller%20classes.&text=There's%20little%20debate%20among%20teachers,would%20strongly%20boost%20student%20learning.

https://ncte.org/statement/why-class-size-matters/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice and super job Maria! +5

• In my opinion I think having a smaller class is much more effective than a bigger class or a class bigger than 20 or 25. I feel like I get taught better in a smaller class because then the teacher can now give you more of their time because they have less students to work with.

• I like having a smaller class because I feel like the teacher can pay more attention to my needs as a student. In a larger class, teachers are trying to help a lot of students in a short amount of time, therefore they are less liekly to make connections with all their students and help all of them.

• In my personal opinion, I do think that having a smaller class size can have some positive effects on students' ability to learn a subject. Although, I do not think that parents should be able to choose if their child is in these smaller classes. I just do not see how that could logically work. Every parent would choose this option, leading to larger class sizes. 

• I think smaller classes are more productive because the teacher can be one on one with certain students more than if the class was bigger. I do not think that parents should be able to choose whether or not their kids were in a big or small class. Frankly, if your parents have that much time on their hands, tell them to work longer.

• I agree that smaller classes allow teachers to give a more individual attention to students.

• Yes, I think smaller classes are more affective and I think it would be helpful if there could be more teachers, and smaller clases. But I also think it would be hard to hire more teacher since there aren't many people that want to be a teacher because of the pay.

• I agree that smaller classes are more effective and helpful for students and teachers.

• I do think that it makes kids less productive. I think that teachers dont get around to all the kids and know them as well if there are to many kids. I thinnk it is worse for the teachers because than they have more to manage than deal with more trouble. 

• I agree that it can be harder for students but I definitely think it affects students too.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker