Does class size affect productivity?

There is a debate between teachers and students whether productivity increases or decreases depending on the number of students in a class. 9 in 10 teachers agree that smaller class sizes are more effective than bigger size ones. According to research, students perform better in smaller classes. The most famous study of class size reduction took place in Tennessee in 1985. They decided to reduce the amount of students from kindergarten through third grade. It resulted that students in classes from 13 to 17 students surpassed scores compared to classes from 22 to 25 students. 

Some benefits of small class sizes are: greater classroom engagement, higher attendance, less distractions and it can allow teachers to give a more individual and personalized attention. Smaller classes also help students build more confidence and friendshipness with other children in the class as interaction is easier between them.

Some cons about smaller classes are: the children do not learn how to interact with a larger group of people. When doing presentations, most students show they are confident to do it in a smaller group but when having to deal with a bigger class all their confidence is lost. This could have a negative effect in the future when having to interact with large groups of people. 

I believe that class size can affect students' productivity and effectiveness. Having less people in a class can increase effectiveness and make students more engaged. However, I think there should be any day of the week where classes enlarge their number so students can learn how to deal with bigger size groups of people and interact with more people. 

Do you think smaller classes are more effective?

Do you think parents should get to choose if they want a bigger or smaller class for their children?

Sources:

https://www.chalkbeat.org/2022/6/10/23162544/class-size-research#:~:text=Research%20suggests%20that%20students%20perform%20better%20in%20smaller%20classes.&text=There's%20little%20debate%20among%20teachers,would%20strongly%20boost%20student%20learning.

https://ncte.org/statement/why-class-size-matters/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I believe the same as you. Smaller size classes help get more work done and increase productivity.

• I think that smaller classes would be better because when you're in a smaller class, the teacher can take the time to help the students that are struggling. While I feel this way, I don't think that parents should get to pick the class size for their kid. This is simply because if every parent picked a smaller class for their kids, we would need alot more teachers to teach and we just don't have that kind of staff.

• I agree with you. Smaller classes ghelp teachers give students a more individual attention.

• I feel like the smaller the class, the more students can get the help they need. It is easier for teachers to assist their students when there aren't 30 kids. They can go from one student to the next without worrying that the rest of their class will be left behind. Anyone that needs help is more likely to get help, when in a smaller class. 

• I agree that the smaller the class is, the more individual attention the teachers can give to the students.

• I think that smaller classes are better and easier. Since the class is small the teacher and help everyone in the class since it is small. I believe that having bigger class the teacher can't help everyone since there are too many students in one class.

• I think the same as you. Smaller classes are generally more efficient and easier to deal with.

• I think that the smaller the class the more the students can learn. I think this because the teacher can give more time to helping the students because there is not as many of them. I think parents should not get to choose because that would make it more difficult for the school to figure out the classes.

• I think that smaller classes make it easier for teachers to teach and it is faster to get work done because there is less distractions.

• I think the less people in a class the easier it is to keep a eye on everyone and make sure they are on task. It wouldn't be as loud and more productive. I think parents should have the choice for younger students, but not older students. The reason i think this becuase older students have more responibility.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker