Does class size affect productivity?

There is a debate between teachers and students whether productivity increases or decreases depending on the number of students in a class. 9 in 10 teachers agree that smaller class sizes are more effective than bigger size ones. According to research, students perform better in smaller classes. The most famous study of class size reduction took place in Tennessee in 1985. They decided to reduce the amount of students from kindergarten through third grade. It resulted that students in classes from 13 to 17 students surpassed scores compared to classes from 22 to 25 students. 

Some benefits of small class sizes are: greater classroom engagement, higher attendance, less distractions and it can allow teachers to give a more individual and personalized attention. Smaller classes also help students build more confidence and friendshipness with other children in the class as interaction is easier between them.

Some cons about smaller classes are: the children do not learn how to interact with a larger group of people. When doing presentations, most students show they are confident to do it in a smaller group but when having to deal with a bigger class all their confidence is lost. This could have a negative effect in the future when having to interact with large groups of people. 

I believe that class size can affect students' productivity and effectiveness. Having less people in a class can increase effectiveness and make students more engaged. However, I think there should be any day of the week where classes enlarge their number so students can learn how to deal with bigger size groups of people and interact with more people. 

Do you think smaller classes are more effective?

Do you think parents should get to choose if they want a bigger or smaller class for their children?

Sources:

https://www.chalkbeat.org/2022/6/10/23162544/class-size-research#:~:text=Research%20suggests%20that%20students%20perform%20better%20in%20smaller%20classes.&text=There's%20little%20debate%20among%20teachers,would%20strongly%20boost%20student%20learning.

https://ncte.org/statement/why-class-size-matters/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think it is usually more effective and more beneficial to students to have smaller class sizes rather than larger ones. In smaller classes there are less people so it is easier to focus. In smaller classes it is also easier for teachers to help students one on one if needed.

• I agree that smaller classes are normally more effective and beneficial for both, students and teachers.

• From my experience in small classes, I think it is quiet and less chaotic. its also less work for the teacher. Smaller classes would be more productive because, depending on what kind of students are in the class, it is more focused and the teacher have a better attitude.

• I agree that smaller classes are normally more quiet and easier for the teacher to handle.

• I think that smaller classes are a better learning environment in my opinion. I think this because, personally, it's a lot easier to learn/understand what's being taught when there's a small class because it's a lot quieter so it's easier to focus. It may also be easier on the teacher's end because I've noticed they have a better time teaching a smaller class because students are jacking around and socializing with their friends.

• I completely agree with you. Smaller classes normally help students and teachers and increase in productivity.

• I don't think that the size of a class is the main cause of a lack of productivity or learning. I think that what gets done in the class depends on the students in the room and how the teacher teaches. Yes, a bigger class is obviously going to be more difficult to manage than a smaller one, but I don't think that what gets done in a class depends on the number of students.

• I agree that the class size is not the main cause of a lack of productivity but I believe that it affects it, resulting in smaller classes being moslty more productive.

• I think that smaller classes are typically more effective.  With more students, it is easier to get off topic and distracted. I think schools should try to keep classes around the same size, that way the students can pay more attention in their all of their classes. 

• I agree with you. Smaller classes help students not get distracted that easy and ends up with them paying more attention.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker