Does class size affect productivity?

There is a debate between teachers and students whether productivity increases or decreases depending on the number of students in a class. 9 in 10 teachers agree that smaller class sizes are more effective than bigger size ones. According to research, students perform better in smaller classes. The most famous study of class size reduction took place in Tennessee in 1985. They decided to reduce the amount of students from kindergarten through third grade. It resulted that students in classes from 13 to 17 students surpassed scores compared to classes from 22 to 25 students. 

Some benefits of small class sizes are: greater classroom engagement, higher attendance, less distractions and it can allow teachers to give a more individual and personalized attention. Smaller classes also help students build more confidence and friendshipness with other children in the class as interaction is easier between them.

Some cons about smaller classes are: the children do not learn how to interact with a larger group of people. When doing presentations, most students show they are confident to do it in a smaller group but when having to deal with a bigger class all their confidence is lost. This could have a negative effect in the future when having to interact with large groups of people. 

I believe that class size can affect students' productivity and effectiveness. Having less people in a class can increase effectiveness and make students more engaged. However, I think there should be any day of the week where classes enlarge their number so students can learn how to deal with bigger size groups of people and interact with more people. 

Do you think smaller classes are more effective?

Do you think parents should get to choose if they want a bigger or smaller class for their children?

Sources:

https://www.chalkbeat.org/2022/6/10/23162544/class-size-research#:~:text=Research%20suggests%20that%20students%20perform%20better%20in%20smaller%20classes.&text=There's%20little%20debate%20among%20teachers,would%20strongly%20boost%20student%20learning.

https://ncte.org/statement/why-class-size-matters/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I belive that smaller classes are more effective and productive ending up with less distractions.

• I think it depends who is in the class. If there are people that are quiet and do their work but there is a lot of kids they could pry get a lot done. There could be a small class with people who talk a bunch so it could go both ways. 

• I agree that it also depends in who is in the class but generally smaller classes are much easier to control and handle.

• Yes, I do think that class size does affect productivity. I think that there could be too many kids in a class which would slow down productivity. I think that a small class would slow down productivity as well. I tend to talk more if I am in a smaller class.  I think class size could affect productivity.

• I think the same as you. Having too many students in a class can slown down the productivity and the class rythm.

• I personally think that smaller classes are more effective because the smaller the class the more help would be available. Plus if the class was smaller the teacher would have more time to teach instead of having distractions with a bigger class. I don't think parents should choose if they want a bigger or smaller class for their children, because how big their child's class depends on their schedule. 

• I think the same as you. Smaller class sizes mostly end being more effective and productive.

• I think smaller classes would help kids learn more. I think the hassle of making classes smaller is not worth it though. I think that most kids can learn just fine in the regular classes of like 18-25. Overall, I do not see a good enough reason to make classes much smaller.

• I agre that smaller classes help students and teachers less distracted.

• I think that smaller classes allow for more things to get done. I think that they would be more effective. Students could get the attention that they may need. I can also see how largers classes could be good too and it could allow for more interactions with other students.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker