There are a number of sports in the state of Iowa that have weekend tournaments such as wrestling, volleyball, and basketball.  Tournaments typically happen on the weekends because they can’t get them done after school. There just isn’t enough time to finish them.  For example, wrestling tournaments could last from 8 in the morning to 5 or 6 o’clock at night.  They take up plenty of time. Another issue with weekend tournaments is the toll it can take on a young athlete’s body.  It can also wear down an athlete’s drive to compete. 

According to ksla 12 news,  during youth weekend basketball tournaments there are a number of fights amongst the parents.  In some ways it seems like the parents want to be at the tournaments more than the kids.  USA football states that it may be more important to do your homework than attend a sporting event.  Almost 7% of student athletes make it to college, therefore it may be smarter for children to focus on academics rather than attending these tournaments on the weekends. 

Personally I am not a fan of these weekend tournaments.  I don’t like that they take up most of my weekend.  I like to have some time off after school gets out for the weekend.  I am a hunter and I enjoy it but it is difficult to get out and go hunting on the weekend in the winter because of these tournaments.  Don’t get me wrong I love sports but I would love some time off on the weekends rather than playing a sport that I play all week. 

What is your opinion on weekend tournaments?

Do you think that weekend tournaments are reasonable? Why or why not?

https://www.ksla.com/2022/04/20/weekend-basketball-tournament-aims-stop-violence/ 

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/6214/should-your-child-miss-a-youth-sports-tournament-because-of-schoolwork-the-answer-might-not-be-as-easy-as-you-think 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• In my opinion, I think tournaments should be kept on the weekends. If moved to a school day it would take a while for players to get caught up and back on track. Tournaments can be from 5 to 10 hours long. Plus you have to include the drive there and back. 

• I think we could have tournaments after school if we reduced how many teams can be in these tournaments.

• I think tournaments should stay on the weekend if they're too long for after school. These tournaments should not be every weekend though. If they were every weekend, it would cause athletes to possibly not enjoy their sport anymore because all they do every week is practice and play games, even during the weekend. 

• I think that we could have tournaments after school if we limited the number of schools that can be in attendence

• I think that people should be able to sign up for tournaments on the weekend. It should be the choice of the person taking part in the activities. I think that to some people it is the only thing to do on the weekends, and to other people, it may be a waste of time, but I think it should be up to the people.

• I think that could make things difficult due to the fact that there could not be enough people to attend a touranment

• I think that people should have the option to sign up for a weekend tournament. I think that some people do not want to spend their weekend like that. But for those who would like to they should be able to because it is benefitcal for sports teams. 

• I think that it would be difficult for kids to have the option to attend becaue there could posibly be not enough in attendence

• I could it could be difficult to attend touranments if we don't know how many people are going to show up to any given tournament.

• I think that people should be able to sign up for turnaments on the weeked, but it should be their choice. Some people dont want to waste their weekend on games or they might have other things they want to do. It takes up time for you to drive there and back so it should be up to the player if they want to.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker