There are a number of sports in the state of Iowa that have weekend tournaments such as wrestling, volleyball, and basketball.  Tournaments typically happen on the weekends because they can’t get them done after school. There just isn’t enough time to finish them.  For example, wrestling tournaments could last from 8 in the morning to 5 or 6 o’clock at night.  They take up plenty of time. Another issue with weekend tournaments is the toll it can take on a young athlete’s body.  It can also wear down an athlete’s drive to compete. 

According to ksla 12 news,  during youth weekend basketball tournaments there are a number of fights amongst the parents.  In some ways it seems like the parents want to be at the tournaments more than the kids.  USA football states that it may be more important to do your homework than attend a sporting event.  Almost 7% of student athletes make it to college, therefore it may be smarter for children to focus on academics rather than attending these tournaments on the weekends. 

Personally I am not a fan of these weekend tournaments.  I don’t like that they take up most of my weekend.  I like to have some time off after school gets out for the weekend.  I am a hunter and I enjoy it but it is difficult to get out and go hunting on the weekend in the winter because of these tournaments.  Don’t get me wrong I love sports but I would love some time off on the weekends rather than playing a sport that I play all week. 

What is your opinion on weekend tournaments?

Do you think that weekend tournaments are reasonable? Why or why not?

https://www.ksla.com/2022/04/20/weekend-basketball-tournament-aims-stop-violence/ 

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/6214/should-your-child-miss-a-youth-sports-tournament-because-of-schoolwork-the-answer-might-not-be-as-easy-as-you-think 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree i think that the kids that want to be in the tournaments will be there however I think that the kids will feel obligated to show up to the tournaments.

• I think that weekend tournaments should be a thing but depends on the sport like wrestling already has weekend tournaments and I don't think football should because then that would ruin friday night lights. I just think it depends on the sport.

• I don' t think that it'd be possible to have football tournaments because of the toll it can take on athlete's bodies

• This reply was deleted.
    • I think that when they have the weekend tournaments it will take a lot of time which will cause students to not get their homework done

• In my opinion I think weekend tournaments should not be allowed because there is kids that work on saturday so that would take their time away from work.  Also the weekend is for free time to sleep in and relax.  Also sometimes it just better to get them done during the week days.

• I think that it is good for kids need time off to re-coop and get ready for the next week of athletics.

• I Honestly don't think there should be tournaments on weekends because students need time off. I mean student athletes are spending so much time already committed to their sport and they most likely had a competition. Students need time to collect themslves and do their school work. 

• I agree I think that students would benifit from the time off to do other activites and let their bodies recover.

• No, I think that there shouldnt be tournaments on weekends. Because, we go to school five days a week and we need the weekend off and not have to worry about doing anything with the school. It also makes kids that farm/work hard for them to do there work. 

• I agree. if we had tournaments it would take to much time for kids to work or help on the farm.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker