Now that Halloween has passed, there are two more major holidays left of the year (assuming you don’t celebrate Hanukkah or Kwanzaa). The first being Thanksgiving, and of course, the second being Christmas. As you may know, the majority of people believe that Christmas is the more popular of the two, and this is proven by how soon people rush to celebrate it, year after year. But, whether or not you should start celebrating Christmas right after Halloween can be very controversial. 

During the Victorian period, most of mankind put their Christmas trees up on Christmas eve, and only celebrated the day of, and multiple days after. Nowadays, people believe that one month isn’t enough for the Christmas season, so trees and decorations start going up months in advance. 

For many, celebrating the Christmas season early brings much needed happiness. Psychoanalyst, Steve McKeown, said that “putting up Christmas decorations early extends the excitement of the festive season. It acts as an 'anchor or pathway to those old childhood magical emotions' and so ultimately makes you happier.”

On the other hand, numerous people feel that Thanksgiving should be prioritized during the month of November, and that individuals should really appreciate the holiday more than they do. This is mostly because people like to enjoy the beautiful autumn season, before the cold winter months arrive. 

Some have also said that they like “being able to be with family and spend time with them while sharing a meal. Most want to be able to fully appreciate the Thanksgiving season before they focus on Christmas.”

I definitely agree with the latter opinion, and I think that people should focus on spending time with family, and enjoying November before the Christmas madness begins. Either way, I think that Christmas should start being celebrated around the end of November, and not the second Halloween ends.

When do you start celebrating/ decorating for Christmas?

Do you think that humanity celebrates Christmas too early, or too late?

Sources:

https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/lifestyle/a25333519/when-to-put-up-your-christmas-tree/ 

https://sharkscene.com/4069/opinion/is-it-okay-to-start-celebrating-christmas-before-thanksgiving/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think Christmas is always celibrated too early because as soon as its the end of halloween christmas starts to be celebrated. Kinda defeats the feeling of christmas being special. 

• My mom and I start decorating for Christmas a week before Thanksgiving usually, because after that it gets really busy on the weekends with extended family Thanksgiving and Christmas. I think there are definitely people who celebrate Christmas to early or too late, but there's no rule saying you can't decorate for Christmas before or after a certain date. 

• I think that a week before Thanksgiving would be a good time, because it does start to get busy during that time, and it isn't just right after Halloween like a lot of people do it. I agree, there isn't any rule or anything, it is all just based on personal preference. 

• i start decorating for chistmas very last minute. I start around december 15th just in time for actual christmas activities. I think some do like before halloween is way to early. Starting before thanksgiving is too early. I think 1 week after thanksgicing is the perfect time too start.

• Oh for sure people celebrate christmas way too early. Some pople I know are already setting up christmas trees. I feel like people could maybe wait till after thanksgiving. My family usually starts putting up christmas tree in like early december. Usually around my birthday. 

• I think that some people celebrate Christmas early, like right after Holloween. I feel that it should happen right after Thanksgiving becuase Thanksgiving is a holiday that not many appreciate because of Christmas. Personally, I don't mind if some people celebrates a little early, but if it like right after Holloween or something, then no. I celebrate and decorate for Christmas right after Thanksgiving ends. 

• I agree, I really don't mind if anyone celebrates Chrismtas early, I just think that they probably shouldn't, and should focus on Thanksgiving and the fall season before everything Christmas starts.

• I think that people set up there Christmas decorations so early because it's an exciting time of year. Most people love Christmad and like to celebrate right after Halloween. I think setting up Christmas this early makes Thanksgiving a little overlooked and people sometimes forget about it.

• I think right now that people are celebrating christmas to ealry. I think it is resonable to celebrate it like 2 or 3 weeks after halloween. Some people celebrate way to early because most celebrate and start decorating early after halloween. Most people just for get that thanksgiving is after it so they hardly celebrate it.  I think that a resonable time to start celeabrating and decorating around November 28 through december.

• I agree, I think that people should celebrate a few weeks after Halloween, but definetly not just the day after. But, I understand why some people would love the Christmas season, but I think that Thanksgiving definetly gets overlooked.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker