Now that Halloween has passed, there are two more major holidays left of the year (assuming you don’t celebrate Hanukkah or Kwanzaa). The first being Thanksgiving, and of course, the second being Christmas. As you may know, the majority of people believe that Christmas is the more popular of the two, and this is proven by how soon people rush to celebrate it, year after year. But, whether or not you should start celebrating Christmas right after Halloween can be very controversial. 

During the Victorian period, most of mankind put their Christmas trees up on Christmas eve, and only celebrated the day of, and multiple days after. Nowadays, people believe that one month isn’t enough for the Christmas season, so trees and decorations start going up months in advance. 

For many, celebrating the Christmas season early brings much needed happiness. Psychoanalyst, Steve McKeown, said that “putting up Christmas decorations early extends the excitement of the festive season. It acts as an 'anchor or pathway to those old childhood magical emotions' and so ultimately makes you happier.”

On the other hand, numerous people feel that Thanksgiving should be prioritized during the month of November, and that individuals should really appreciate the holiday more than they do. This is mostly because people like to enjoy the beautiful autumn season, before the cold winter months arrive. 

Some have also said that they like “being able to be with family and spend time with them while sharing a meal. Most want to be able to fully appreciate the Thanksgiving season before they focus on Christmas.”

I definitely agree with the latter opinion, and I think that people should focus on spending time with family, and enjoying November before the Christmas madness begins. Either way, I think that Christmas should start being celebrated around the end of November, and not the second Halloween ends.

When do you start celebrating/ decorating for Christmas?

Do you think that humanity celebrates Christmas too early, or too late?

Sources:

https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/lifestyle/a25333519/when-to-put-up-your-christmas-tree/ 

https://sharkscene.com/4069/opinion/is-it-okay-to-start-celebrating-christmas-before-thanksgiving/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think a lot  of people like to set up christmas early because of how excited they are. Christmas is the most popular holiday celebrated and a lot of people get lots of stuff for it so i think they just want to leave it up for a longer amount of time. But then they forget about thanksgiving, some like to decorate for thanksgiving and some dont. 

• I think that Christmas gets celebrated too early. Many people forget about thanksgiving, which is an important holiday too. I think the appropriate time to start celebrating christmas is after thanksgiving. My family usually starts decorating for Christmas on the weekend after thanksgiving. 

• I agree with you, I think that many people tend to forget about Thanksgiving, and get all caught up in everything Christmas. I too think that a good time to start celebrating and decorating for Chrismtas is around or even after Thanksgiving, because it still leaves plently of time for Chrismtas. 

• I think that christmas gets celebrated too early, because most people forget about thanksgiving, even though its an important holiday. Thanksgiving is still important even if you don't think it is as important as christmas. So I think people should wait to celebrate christmas untill after thanksgiving.

• I agree, I think that people just trump Christmas over Thanksgiving, and so it ends up really only being celebrated the day of Thanksgiving. I too think that Thanksgiving is an important holiday that gets very overlooked by people celebrating Christmas too early.

• I do feel that christmas does get celebrated too early because people are puting christmas trees up right after halloween. Thanksgiving is a really important part of not only history but religion too. Christmas is a fun celebration but I feel people shouldn't just bypass thanksgiving.

• My family starts putting up decorations the night of Thanksgiving. However, we put up Christmas lights whenever it is warm, even if it is before Thanksgiving. I think that anything before Thanksgiving is too early for decorating or celebrating. November should be for Thanksgiving.

• I think that after Thanksgiving is a great time to start decorating and celebrating Christmas, and I agree with what you said about the Christmas lights. There never really is a great time to put up Christmas actually in December because of the cold weather, so I think they should just be put up when it is warm.

• I feel as though as soon as halloween is over you can start setting up for Christmas. Christmas is one of my favorite holidays just because of all the joy and the family that is around Christmas. So I think that Christmas can be celebrated whenever people whant to celebrate it. 

• I start decorating for christmas at the start of december or end of november and I think people should start celebrating when christmas vibes start coming out like when it starts freezing and snowing and starts having christmas colors coming in.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker