Now that Halloween has passed, there are two more major holidays left of the year (assuming you don’t celebrate Hanukkah or Kwanzaa). The first being Thanksgiving, and of course, the second being Christmas. As you may know, the majority of people believe that Christmas is the more popular of the two, and this is proven by how soon people rush to celebrate it, year after year. But, whether or not you should start celebrating Christmas right after Halloween can be very controversial. 

During the Victorian period, most of mankind put their Christmas trees up on Christmas eve, and only celebrated the day of, and multiple days after. Nowadays, people believe that one month isn’t enough for the Christmas season, so trees and decorations start going up months in advance. 

For many, celebrating the Christmas season early brings much needed happiness. Psychoanalyst, Steve McKeown, said that “putting up Christmas decorations early extends the excitement of the festive season. It acts as an 'anchor or pathway to those old childhood magical emotions' and so ultimately makes you happier.”

On the other hand, numerous people feel that Thanksgiving should be prioritized during the month of November, and that individuals should really appreciate the holiday more than they do. This is mostly because people like to enjoy the beautiful autumn season, before the cold winter months arrive. 

Some have also said that they like “being able to be with family and spend time with them while sharing a meal. Most want to be able to fully appreciate the Thanksgiving season before they focus on Christmas.”

I definitely agree with the latter opinion, and I think that people should focus on spending time with family, and enjoying November before the Christmas madness begins. Either way, I think that Christmas should start being celebrated around the end of November, and not the second Halloween ends.

When do you start celebrating/ decorating for Christmas?

Do you think that humanity celebrates Christmas too early, or too late?

Sources:

https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/lifestyle/a25333519/when-to-put-up-your-christmas-tree/ 

https://sharkscene.com/4069/opinion/is-it-okay-to-start-celebrating-christmas-before-thanksgiving/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I normally start decorating for Christmas after Thanksgiving. In my opinion there should be a break between Halloween and Christmas decoration and shoul start decorating after Thanksgiving so people would be more enthusiastic for celebrating it and decorating.

• I usually get exciteted for christmas after Halloween and once everyone else starts putting stuff up then my family thinks it's time. Especially outside decorations no one wants to out them up in the freezing cold. I think we celebrate it to early but it's not a bad thing because alot of people like christmas and I like seeing the lights.

• i think people do start celebrating to early now i get why people do, either because they just like christmas or because they are trying to get use of the stuff they spend money on. but putting stuff up right after halloween is to early i think the earliest it should be is after thanksgiving and i think the latest they should be up is late january to early febuary.

• Yes, I start celebrating Christmas right after Halloween. I think that many familys think that thanksgiving is only a weekend or a day but christmas is at least a month. I do enjoy celebrating Christmas before Thanksgiving. Some people might not enjoy the other holidays as much. I think many family enjoy doing Christmas early. 

• I think some people celebrate Christmas too early. Some familys start setting up their Christmas trees and all of their decorations right after Halloween. I like Christmas a lot, but I also think some poeple forget about Thanksgiving. I think after thanksgiving is the perfect time to start setting up your Christmas decorations.

• I think that most people start decorating or celebrating Christmas after Halloween because Christmas is one of their favorite holidays. My family and I don't really celebrate Thanksgiving, so we start decorating and talking about Christmas after Halloween. It really just depends on how you were raised or your family. 

• That can also be very true. I guess it all really depends on which holidays you or your family celebrates, because some people aren't really into Thanksgiving or Halloween, so they probably just want to celebrate Christmas as early as possible.

•  My family usually starts putting up Christmas decorations a week or two after Thanksgiving. As you mentioned, my family and I  like to take in the last of the fall and enjoy the nice weather with it. I personally feel that families celebrate holidays at different times because of how they were raised. Also, many people celebrate the holidays in many different ways. 

• My family usually starts putting up Christmas decorations a few days after Thanksgiving. Like you mentioned, my family like to take in the last of the fall season and our fall decorations before switching seasons. I personally feel that when you start celebrating a holiday differs from person to person, especially depending on what holidays you truly celebrate. 

• I agree with how you said that each holiday differs per person/ family. I think that some poeple are just more into Christmas as a holiday, so they probably just celebrate it earlier to bring the season's joy earlier.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker