Now that Halloween has passed, there are two more major holidays left of the year (assuming you don’t celebrate Hanukkah or Kwanzaa). The first being Thanksgiving, and of course, the second being Christmas. As you may know, the majority of people believe that Christmas is the more popular of the two, and this is proven by how soon people rush to celebrate it, year after year. But, whether or not you should start celebrating Christmas right after Halloween can be very controversial. 

During the Victorian period, most of mankind put their Christmas trees up on Christmas eve, and only celebrated the day of, and multiple days after. Nowadays, people believe that one month isn’t enough for the Christmas season, so trees and decorations start going up months in advance. 

For many, celebrating the Christmas season early brings much needed happiness. Psychoanalyst, Steve McKeown, said that “putting up Christmas decorations early extends the excitement of the festive season. It acts as an 'anchor or pathway to those old childhood magical emotions' and so ultimately makes you happier.”

On the other hand, numerous people feel that Thanksgiving should be prioritized during the month of November, and that individuals should really appreciate the holiday more than they do. This is mostly because people like to enjoy the beautiful autumn season, before the cold winter months arrive. 

Some have also said that they like “being able to be with family and spend time with them while sharing a meal. Most want to be able to fully appreciate the Thanksgiving season before they focus on Christmas.”

I definitely agree with the latter opinion, and I think that people should focus on spending time with family, and enjoying November before the Christmas madness begins. Either way, I think that Christmas should start being celebrated around the end of November, and not the second Halloween ends.

When do you start celebrating/ decorating for Christmas?

Do you think that humanity celebrates Christmas too early, or too late?

Sources:

https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/lifestyle/a25333519/when-to-put-up-your-christmas-tree/ 

https://sharkscene.com/4069/opinion/is-it-okay-to-start-celebrating-christmas-before-thanksgiving/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Yes I think some people might celebrate christmas too early, My family usually starts decorating after thanksgiving. I think that if you put up your tree earlier it doesnt matter. I think that if you do have a lot more decorations and no time starting early might benifit you.

• My family and I start decorating for Christmas either right before Thanksgiving or right after. We are a big Christmas family. Meaning we have a Christmas tree in every room in the house. We also put wreaths on every door. We are super festive when it comes to Christmas. We also have an elf on the shelf and specific Christmas blankets and pillows for our couches. I think most people celebrate it on time. I'd say most people set up right before or right after Thanksgiving. 

• Yes, I start celebrating christmas right after halloween. Because I love christmas and I think many other people do to because christmas is usally a good time for people and thinking about it makes them happy. It may also take awhile for people to set up decorations so they start early. 

• I think that Christmas is so much bigger here in the United States than in Germany. I agree with you that decorating and celebrating Christmas should start the earliest at the end of November after Thanksgiving. However, I can understand why people start celebrating earlier because it brings them so much joy. 

• In my opinion, Christmas is an exciting time of year so I think that "Christmas season" starts on November 1st. We don't decorate for Christmas until after Thanksgiving, but only because my dad won't allow it. I think that humanity, including myself, celebrates Christmas too early

• Honestly, my family doesn't decorate that much for Christmas or any holiday for that matter. But I do believe some people do decorate too early. It looks kind of bad when people will decorate for Christmas before Thanksgiving is even over. 

• In my opinion, people should start getting ready for Christmas right after Thanksgiving. In my opinion, In my opinion, you should wait till after thanksgiving to put any Christmas stuff up. I know some people who start putting things up the minute Halloween is over.

• I think after Halloween we should start decorating for Christmas. Christmas and Christmas spirit makes everyone happier. Studies have shown that people who decorate Christmas are happier. However, I still think that we should celebrate Thanksgiving and we should not forget about it.

• I think you should start gettting ready for Christmas right after thanksgiving. I think people do not celebrate christmas to early becuase it is such a pretty holiday and it brings out joy in many people. Christmas is not my favorite holiday but it is the prettiest.

• In my opinion, Christmas is an exciting time of year so I think that "Christmas season" starts on November 1st. We don't decorate for Christmas until after Thanksgiving, but only because my dad won't allow it. I think that humanity, including myself, celebrates Christmas too early. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker