Now that Halloween has passed, there are two more major holidays left of the year (assuming you don’t celebrate Hanukkah or Kwanzaa). The first being Thanksgiving, and of course, the second being Christmas. As you may know, the majority of people believe that Christmas is the more popular of the two, and this is proven by how soon people rush to celebrate it, year after year. But, whether or not you should start celebrating Christmas right after Halloween can be very controversial. 

During the Victorian period, most of mankind put their Christmas trees up on Christmas eve, and only celebrated the day of, and multiple days after. Nowadays, people believe that one month isn’t enough for the Christmas season, so trees and decorations start going up months in advance. 

For many, celebrating the Christmas season early brings much needed happiness. Psychoanalyst, Steve McKeown, said that “putting up Christmas decorations early extends the excitement of the festive season. It acts as an 'anchor or pathway to those old childhood magical emotions' and so ultimately makes you happier.”

On the other hand, numerous people feel that Thanksgiving should be prioritized during the month of November, and that individuals should really appreciate the holiday more than they do. This is mostly because people like to enjoy the beautiful autumn season, before the cold winter months arrive. 

Some have also said that they like “being able to be with family and spend time with them while sharing a meal. Most want to be able to fully appreciate the Thanksgiving season before they focus on Christmas.”

I definitely agree with the latter opinion, and I think that people should focus on spending time with family, and enjoying November before the Christmas madness begins. Either way, I think that Christmas should start being celebrated around the end of November, and not the second Halloween ends.

When do you start celebrating/ decorating for Christmas?

Do you think that humanity celebrates Christmas too early, or too late?

Sources:

https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/lifestyle/a25333519/when-to-put-up-your-christmas-tree/ 

https://sharkscene.com/4069/opinion/is-it-okay-to-start-celebrating-christmas-before-thanksgiving/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I can definetly agree with some of that, because I realize how much joy is brought from the Christmas season, so starting early would make some sense. I just think that people should enjoy the fall season before all of the Christmas craziness starts.

• I think that it just depends on the family. For mine, we switch holidays for each side and usually we celebrate Christmas on thanksgiving since we won't be with that side during the actual holiday. I think that celebrating Christmas early won't hurt anyone, people can do what they want. If they want to celebrate Christmas early, leave them be. If they want to celebrate the day of, that's ok too. 

•  

I guess I had never really thought about it that way, and I think that celebrating Thanksgiving and Christmas on the same day would make sense, considering some of my family lives hours and hours away from me. I think that celebrating Christmas early in this sense would be reasonable, and I agree with what you said about letting people have their own opinions.

• I think that the time people start to celebrate should be completely up to the person's choice. There should be no deadline for celebrating Christmas. It is a very festive holiday, however, I think that people should at least wait until after thanksgiving. This is also a holiday that needs more cheer, and if Christmas decorations are already up it seems like people are forgetting about thanksgiving.

• I start celebrating Christmas right before thanksgiving because my family celebrates thanksgiving and Christmas at the same time. However, this year on halloween my parents were watching a Christmas movie. I don't think that is acceptable. A little after Halloween is ok but the day of or before isn't. 

• Personally, I think people some celebrate Christmas a little too early. I like to celebrate early but certain people need to chill out. Christmas should start to be celebrated either after, or a little before Thanksgiving. I would like to start decorating Christmas in November, but my mom thinks that Christmas time starts in December.

• I think some people get in the mood for christamas earlier then what they should but then again some poeple are jsut like that and thats okay. I think they celebrate a little to early. 

• If I am being honest - I am totally one of those people who celebrate Christmas once it is November 1st. I think that it is just a matter of your personality. I like Christmas and it's music and the happiness that is around me when it happens, but to others, it comes too early or people have put up decorations, that in their opinions, are up too soon. I think that with different religions, people also celebrate at different times, like for example- Catholics celebrate Advent, so my family and I start celebrating the season in the beginning of December. 

• I can agree with this too. I think that the Christmas season does bring joy to people, so if that is what they need to be happy, I think that it is fine putting up decorations early-mid November, I just think it can get to be too much sometimes. 

• In my opion some people celebrate Christmas way to early. For example if you put your christmas tree up before thanksgiving, then you are celebrating way to early. Our family usually starts to put are christmas stuff up the day or 2 after thanksgiving. In my opion you have to wait till thanksgiving is over to put any christmas stuff up.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker