Do Electric Vehicles Reduce The Risk Of Climate Change?

Electric vehicles(EVs) have been known to lower greenhouse gas emissions. They are also supposed to help lower the risk of climate change. But do they help? EVs are cars powered by electric motors with lithium batteries or a fuel cell. When talking about EVs many think about Elon Musk and Tesla. But, did you know the idea sprung up over 100 years ago. There are different kinds of EVs. Such as, plug-in hybrids, battery-electric, or any other type that you plug in. Electric vehicles are cleaner than conventional ones. This is because EVs don’t produce exhaust. The vehicle and source of electricity determines how clean it is. When using renewable energy EVs can be emission free. All in all, EVs can help lower the risk of climate change than conventional vehicles.

EVs seem more clean for the environment, but I think that they are not helping to their full capacity. My thinking is that most electricity is powered by oil. Which means that every time you go to recharge you are more than likely burning oil. But if you are using renewable energy then EVs would be helping the environment. Although EVs are better for the environment I would not want one because I like gas vehicles. I like the smell, the sound, and the looks of gas cars over EVs.

Do you think that electric cars help the environment?

Would you ever want to get an electric vehicle?

https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/what-are-electric-cars 

https://www.energy.gov/articles/history-electric-car 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I personally believe that electric cars are a good idea to help slow down climate change but I don't know if it will really help to be honest like think about it the resouces used to make it harm the climate and then when the car has a giant batter in it how do you think it will affect the enviroment.

• I agree that electric cars are a good idea and that the resources to make them are harmful. It is a good idea but, it is definetly a work in progress.

• I think that electric cars help the environment. These cars help because fully electric cars don't have exhaust which pollutes the air. I would potentially get a electric car in the future especially if the gas prices continue to rise.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker