Do Electric Vehicles Reduce The Risk Of Climate Change?

Electric vehicles(EVs) have been known to lower greenhouse gas emissions. They are also supposed to help lower the risk of climate change. But do they help? EVs are cars powered by electric motors with lithium batteries or a fuel cell. When talking about EVs many think about Elon Musk and Tesla. But, did you know the idea sprung up over 100 years ago. There are different kinds of EVs. Such as, plug-in hybrids, battery-electric, or any other type that you plug in. Electric vehicles are cleaner than conventional ones. This is because EVs don’t produce exhaust. The vehicle and source of electricity determines how clean it is. When using renewable energy EVs can be emission free. All in all, EVs can help lower the risk of climate change than conventional vehicles.

EVs seem more clean for the environment, but I think that they are not helping to their full capacity. My thinking is that most electricity is powered by oil. Which means that every time you go to recharge you are more than likely burning oil. But if you are using renewable energy then EVs would be helping the environment. Although EVs are better for the environment I would not want one because I like gas vehicles. I like the smell, the sound, and the looks of gas cars over EVs.

Do you think that electric cars help the environment?

Would you ever want to get an electric vehicle?

https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/what-are-electric-cars 

https://www.energy.gov/articles/history-electric-car 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree that Electric cars can help but, are not the full solution to be fully eco-friendly. Climate change is getting a bit out of hand so we need to come up with better solutions to slow it down. Electric cars are coming a long way but they need to be improved before i'd get one.

• Yes I believe electric cars do have a risk of climate change. I believe electric cars is a waste of time, yes its a leap in technology but I thing gas powered vehicles are more efficiant. Electric cars have to charge and that will take way longer than just filling the tank up with gas. Also the price difference electric cars are a lot more expencive than gas. Electric cars do have an impact on climate change in a good way and a bad way. 

• I agree that electric cars are a waste of resources and time for the world. They had a good idea but, not great execution. Having to charge for a couple hours is a huge pain over just 10 mins. at the pump. I agree that they are very expensive and that they have their ups and downs.

• I do not like the trend of eletic cars becuase of all they say there gonna do but yet do not perform how they annouced they would. I would much rather have disel and gasoline in the air than battery acid and the fumes battiers give off from being used on cars.

• Electric cars are no worse for the world than normal cars because they both produce or take stuff that cause climate change and environmental change so I think that it is about the same as cars. I would probably never own a electric car because you can go like 200 miles but then you have to charge for 6 to 8 hrs to get to full.

• I agree that EVs are not any better than conventional cars. This is because unless you are using renewable energy you are burning gas and oil. I agree being on a road trip with an EV wouldn't be very sutible and it isn't really worth all that time.

• I don't think the EV's help the enviornment and the charging stations for the EV cars use like diesel or gas generators to charger the EV and so that they have some type of gas or desiel in the car. I don't think I would get an EV car and especially you would have to pay for the charging station too and you would have to pay $2,000-$10,000 to get it installed.

• I agree, the charging stations being powered by gas and diesel are not helping the environment at all. Charging stations are very pricey and just having an EV is quite expensive. I probably wouldn't own one for this reason as well.

• I think that they help the environment a little bit but not enough for every car in the world to be an electirc car. I do not want to get an electric vehicle because I prefer older cars and all of the old cars run on gas, and with the money for an electric car I can just get a older car.

• I agree that they are on track to helping the environment but are quite there yet. I also prefer older cars but, if they are truly harming the environment than everyone should try to switch. I also agree that they can be pricey so hopefully that changes in the near future.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker