Do curfews keep teenagers out of trouble?

I believe that curfews keep some teenagers out of trouble. Statistics show that kids who have a curfew are less likely to get in trouble with law enforcement and their parents. Most cities have a curfew in their town, this can benefit the town but most parents believe having their own curfew set for their child is more beneficial. This leaves the child with a responsibility to get home before the curfew or they will be punished by their parents. While curfews can keep kids out of trouble many people believe that they don't fully prevent crimes from being committed at late hours. 

Other statistics state only 15% of crimes committed by younger students happen after 10 pm. But even if the government were to set a curfew they wouldn't be able to keep every kid out of trouble. I think setting a curfew from your parents would be way more effective than it being over a whole town or state.

Some kids will also see the curfew as a challenge and want to stay out late just to break the law. Which would start even more trouble. Most crimes committed are from kids that go driving around all night and never go home. Most kids that do this lie to their parents about where they are going so their parents don’t know they're staying out all night. Even now kids stay out later than their curfew and still never get caught.  

Do you think curfews should be later? 

Do you think they should just not have curfews? Drivers Are Freaking Out - Guide to Painless Police Stops

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't feel curfews really do much. Personally I've never had a curfew because my mom trusts me to come home at a decent time. I feel parents that do curfews are either scared their kid is gonna get stolen or they just simply don't trust their child due to past expiriences. I think curfews sometimes make sense.

• I agree, some parents trust their kids and some dont. and a lot of kids dont follow their curfew

• I personally think that people should just not have a cerfew or make it late. It might keep some kids out of trouble but not all. Kids can still get in trouble at anytime of the day not just at night.  My parents give me a cerfew but if i just ask to stay out later they will let me, and if I break my cerfew i just have to let muy parents know and they won't be mad.

• i agree, i think we should go by our parents cerfew becasue some let others stay out late

• yes i think curfews should be later. The curfew just makes kids angry and want to break the curfew even more. I think there should be no curfews at all. If we are out that its our choice.

• i agree

• No I do not think a curfew keeps keeps out of trouble I think its all about the kid. If the kid is out they might not even be gettingin trouble. Ive never had a curfew becuase I have no reason to get a curfew becuase I do not get in trouble. Yes for people that get in trouble should keep a curfew. But i believe that that curfew should be later for those who dont do anythig wrong 

• i agree, it just depends how responsible they are

•  I think curfews are used to make an excuse to why kids misbehave. If they don't follow the curfew, then it's obvious that they are doing bad things. There are instances where this can be true. I have a curfew but I am able to break it if I need to.

• I agree, the kids who misbehave are just kids who like to mess around, not everyone who stays past curfew or stuff is bad

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker