Do curfews keep teenagers out of trouble?

I believe that curfews keep some teenagers out of trouble. Statistics show that kids who have a curfew are less likely to get in trouble with law enforcement and their parents. Most cities have a curfew in their town, this can benefit the town but most parents believe having their own curfew set for their child is more beneficial. This leaves the child with a responsibility to get home before the curfew or they will be punished by their parents. While curfews can keep kids out of trouble many people believe that they don't fully prevent crimes from being committed at late hours. 

Other statistics state only 15% of crimes committed by younger students happen after 10 pm. But even if the government were to set a curfew they wouldn't be able to keep every kid out of trouble. I think setting a curfew from your parents would be way more effective than it being over a whole town or state.

Some kids will also see the curfew as a challenge and want to stay out late just to break the law. Which would start even more trouble. Most crimes committed are from kids that go driving around all night and never go home. Most kids that do this lie to their parents about where they are going so their parents don’t know they're staying out all night. Even now kids stay out later than their curfew and still never get caught.  

Do you think curfews should be later? 

Do you think they should just not have curfews? Drivers Are Freaking Out - Guide to Painless Police Stops

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that a curfew is almost pointless, kids that have non strict parents have the opperunity to go out on the streets at night and not get caught. Yes there is a good proven point that curvews are soupossed to "keep the streets safe, and drugs off the streets" but look how well that has come over the years.

• I agree, some kids have cerfews and some dont it just depends on the parents

• I think that curfews can be both beneficial and non-beneficial. I believe that if you have a curfew, you will want to rebel or speed home and possibly get in an accident. I think curfews are wrong and they should not be a thing in any household. I think parents should be able to trust their kids. 

• I agree, when we are told a curfew we want to stay out then we speed and get in touble there.

• I think that curfews should be based on what each individual kid needs. If the kid stays out of trouble and doesn't break any laws, then their curfew should be up to their parents or gardiens to decide. But, I think that it would be hard to regulate that, and that the curfew should probably just be later. I definetly don't think that 10:30 for 14-15-year-olds is reasonable.

• Some parents might say 9 or 10 then the kids want the 1030 curfew. But I see where you are coming from.

• I think that if kids do have a curfew it should be a set time between themself and their parents. This way the child feels that it is more personalized to their activites and helps parents feel more comfortable. I also think that the decision of whether or not to have a curfew should be another personalized decision between child and parent. 

• I totally agree

• I think that curfews should be a bit later. I think that 14-16 should be around 1-2 am, and giving 17- 18 year olds whatever they want. Even though a lot of people think that kids will cause trouble, I think that if a kid gets caught doing something stupid, then they would have to face the consquences, and the people who are following the rules, should be held back because of others. 

• I agree, but I also think they should go home when they are tired and not stay longer so they dont fall asleep on the road.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker