Do curfews keep teenagers out of trouble?

I believe that curfews keep some teenagers out of trouble. Statistics show that kids who have a curfew are less likely to get in trouble with law enforcement and their parents. Most cities have a curfew in their town, this can benefit the town but most parents believe having their own curfew set for their child is more beneficial. This leaves the child with a responsibility to get home before the curfew or they will be punished by their parents. While curfews can keep kids out of trouble many people believe that they don't fully prevent crimes from being committed at late hours. 

Other statistics state only 15% of crimes committed by younger students happen after 10 pm. But even if the government were to set a curfew they wouldn't be able to keep every kid out of trouble. I think setting a curfew from your parents would be way more effective than it being over a whole town or state.

Some kids will also see the curfew as a challenge and want to stay out late just to break the law. Which would start even more trouble. Most crimes committed are from kids that go driving around all night and never go home. Most kids that do this lie to their parents about where they are going so their parents don’t know they're staying out all night. Even now kids stay out later than their curfew and still never get caught.  

Do you think curfews should be later? 

Do you think they should just not have curfews? Drivers Are Freaking Out - Guide to Painless Police Stops

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that the legal curfews should be a little later. A lot of kids parents give their kids a curfew that is different from the legal curfew. If you are driving past a cop the cop does not how old you are so they cant really enforce it because they dont know if you are doing anything illegal.

• i agree

• I think that having a curfew is a good idea. Specially if your in sports or even going to sport games cause sometimes they last longer then what they should. I don't think curfew should be later because nothing goes on after 12:30 am.  So I think having curfew is good idea because it will keep the kids out of trouble.

• a lot of kids just want to have fun, and it does keep some out of trouble but others earned that oppertunity

• I think that it should depend on your age group and if you have a record with trouble or not. Like 14 to 16 should be able to walk around until 12 or 1AM and for people 17 to 18 years old it should be until 3 or 5AM giving them more freedom. As for adults you should be able to stay up as late as you want because you are your own person and you make your own choices plus your also a adult.

• at that point no point of having a curfew if its that late

• A lot of parents will give their kids their own made up curfew. Which really doesn't help the situation of kids coming back home late. Because having curfews makes kids try to do things before their curfew. So curfews are for kids who don't get back on time I guess. 

• then they just speed home to be home in time for their cufew

• I think they shouldn't have curfews mainly because teens expecailly will see it as a challenge and a reason to start trouble. With the teens that look older than they actually are it is hard to figure out who is under age expecally if it is in a big town or neighborhood.

• i think you should earn it through your parents, so they decide on your curfew

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker