Do curfews keep teenagers out of trouble?

I believe that curfews keep some teenagers out of trouble. Statistics show that kids who have a curfew are less likely to get in trouble with law enforcement and their parents. Most cities have a curfew in their town, this can benefit the town but most parents believe having their own curfew set for their child is more beneficial. This leaves the child with a responsibility to get home before the curfew or they will be punished by their parents. While curfews can keep kids out of trouble many people believe that they don't fully prevent crimes from being committed at late hours. 

Other statistics state only 15% of crimes committed by younger students happen after 10 pm. But even if the government were to set a curfew they wouldn't be able to keep every kid out of trouble. I think setting a curfew from your parents would be way more effective than it being over a whole town or state.

Some kids will also see the curfew as a challenge and want to stay out late just to break the law. Which would start even more trouble. Most crimes committed are from kids that go driving around all night and never go home. Most kids that do this lie to their parents about where they are going so their parents don’t know they're staying out all night. Even now kids stay out later than their curfew and still never get caught.  

Do you think curfews should be later? 

Do you think they should just not have curfews? Drivers Are Freaking Out - Guide to Painless Police Stops

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that curfews are a very good thing to have in place for kids and teenagers. Curfews can help kids stay out of trouble as most bad things happen at night when everyone is sleeping and occupied. The curfew should be later in the night for older kids and earlier in the night for younger kids.

• i agree

• I think curfews are good for some people because it just keeps them out of trouble. But I think maybe they should be later, at least on the weekends, because some kids just want to go out and do stuff later on weekends.

• I agree

• I think that if you're over 16 then you shouldn't have a curfew your almost an adult and people want you to act like one so you should be able to stay out at night. if you are under 16 then yeah I think a curfew is a good thing to have.

• I agree, but parents also worry about you being out late and cant sleep i think we should have 1230 cerfews on school days but no cerfew on weekends

• I think that curfew should be pushed back a little for 16 years and older because anyone younger than that is not mature anough to know pay attention to surroundings. I think that they should keep the curfew laws because if not it will not be safe.

• I agree

• I think that having a curfew at 10 is not a good idea. With sports, activities, and other things that take place at night, having a curfew just later than that does not seem like a good idea. I think that more mature kids will suffer for what the less mature kids have done. This does not seem fair and I do not think that this should be in place. 

• I agree, its too early and no resonable

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker