Debtors sent to prison in Mississippi?

In the state of Mississippi, people who owe money or “debtors” now will serve a prison sentence if they can not get it paid off. Annita Husband, a mother in her 40’s doesn't go home to her kids and family after her shift at Church’s Chicken, instead, she waits for the highly secured, white van to pick her up and take her to her “home.” Annita owes nearly $13,000 from an embezzlement conviction and to help pay it off she was sent to the restitution center in 2015 to pay it off. “If I wasn’t at work, I was in prison,” Husband said. The corrections department gave each person $10 a week, to buy the necessities. The state of Mississippi has been cracking down on debt in their state and is the only state to now send their residents to jail.

Do you think sending people who owe money to the state is the right thing to do?

Yes, I do, however, I think that there should be a more humane and a nicer place for everyone to go, maybe a group home-like thing to help people get back on their feet. 

Do you think Mississippi will be less in debt than any other of the states because they are doing this?

No, I don’t actually, because of the fees to house someone in jail and some people will even stay up to 5 years there.

Click HERE to read more

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well done Vanessa! Be sure to capitalize key words in your title.

• I think its a good thing that they are cracking down on people who owe money but they are also using a lot of money driving people from work and home to make sure thats where they go. I think there will be alot less debt in MIssissippi in a few years because now there is consquences for not paying off debt.

• I agree with you, getting more people out of debt is super good for the state and it will help them in years to come. I think it will help people get to work and have more determination to get all of their debts paid off and so they can live a debt-free life.

• I understand sending people who have a large amount of money owed, and they just haven't paid it, but I agree that perhaps it could be in a group or a home. I agree with you that the state of Mississippi will still have the fees to house someone in jail, and some people might just never pay the debt back. 

• I agree, when people ow large amounts of money and they are not paying it off it causes issues and they need to pay it off. Also, I think if they were to go to a home it would be better and they could be more free instead of being locked up in jail.

• I don't think that sending people to jail for being in debt is the right thing to do. I do think that it's not great for people to not earn the money that people owe them, but sending them to jail is too far. People come from different backgrounds and it's hard for people to pay their bills, so they might get in debt. Sending the people who work as hard as possible to jail is going a little too far. I think that Mississippi will be in a little less debt than other states, but it won't be enough money to treat people like that. 

• I think that people need to have some sort of consequence for not paying off their debts. If there was a better option for them to go to other than jail, I would support that more. But I think it is a good way for people to get back on their feet.

• I think the people should just pay there bills, then they won't have to deal with this stuff. I think they should go there, they deserve it. If your not going to pay your bills, then yeah. Put them in prision, at least they get food, water, chlothes and a shelter for no pay. No, I dont think mississippi will, they spend there money on things they dont need instead of the important.

• I agree with you, if everyone just paid all of their bills then it would not be an issue. However, it is a good option for the people who truly can not pay their bills and this place helps them get back on their feet and gain more money.

• I think that this could be an effective way of handling the debt problem, but it is not a very nice way to take care of it. I believe that since stealing is a crime, being in extreme debt should be treated as a crime as well, however the whole locking peope up away from their families and forcing them to work for years reminds me of peasantry. But I think that in the long run it might do some good, becuse it will scare people into not making the same mistakes as others, so they don't wind up in prison. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker