Cyber Attack on the Colonial pipeline.

Last Thursday on May 6th, the Colonial pipeline was crippled after a cyberattack event took place. The colonial pipeline is a major gas line that carries nearly 100 million gallons of fuel per day. This pipeline is one of the largest in the United States and operates in more than 18 states, mostly on the east coast. This event affected millions of people and caused a state of emergency in three states which include; Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. Many civilians in these affected states were only allowed a certain amount of gas for this time period. In some cases, these civilians had to travel more than 50 miles for a full gas tank.  The hackers behind this event are affiliated with an organization known as "Darkside".

Darkside is a criminal hacking organization based in Russia. The hackers would only release control of the pipeline if the Colonial pipeline were to pay a 5 million dollar ransom. Colonial, paid the ransom which freed the pipeline thus fueling the east coast once more and putting an end to this scare. Biden has stated that the United States would not rule out a retaliatory strike against Darkside that would, "Disrupt their ability to operate." Soon after Biden's statement, Darkside released information that they will be closing as an organization after pressures from the United States. It is currently unknown if Darkside will be refunding the 5 million dollars back to colonial. 

In my opinion, I believe that the Colonial pipeline shouldn't have paid the hackers the ransom. I believe this because you should never negotiate with terrorists because they will always want more. Also, I think that Darkside could and might have done this again if Biden didn't threaten the criminal organization. I think that the United States should capture and imprison these hackers for their crimes. 

Questions:

Do you think that Colonial should have paid the 5 million dollar ransom, why or why not?

In your opinion, should the United States locate and detain these hackers?

What the US Colonial pipeline cyberattack means for Europe – POLITICO

Sources:

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/colonial-pipeline-paid-ransomware-hackers-5-million-u-s-official-n1267286 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/14/business/darkside-pipeline-hack.html

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that Colonial did what they had to do by paying the 5 billion dollars. They had to get the pipeline back in operation since most of the east coast was in a gas shortage for this attack. I think that it would be kind of difficult for the US to locate and detain the hackers that pulled of this job.

• I think it was good that we payed the ransom because we were going to need it back sooner or later. We should for sure locate and detain this hackers because what's going to happen when our private information gets leaked I believe they are a danger to society since everything is online now a days.

• I think that what Colonial did was the right thing. Prices were shooting so high and if they wouldn't have paid the ransom money, then the gas prices would've continued to go up. I think that we need a better technological protective system so that we don't get hacked again. The hackers should be found and brought to the U.S. for detainment. 

• I think it was a good idea of paying. The gas prices were skyrocketing and if there was a shortage of gas then they would go even higher. I think we need a better computer security or protective system so the hackers can't do this. 

• I agree, everyting now a days is electronic which makes it so much easier for hackers to get into the system, therefore they definately need to get a stronger firewall and protection for the system. Because this is happening more than it should. 

• I think that there should be a better protective system on the pipelines computers. We should find out who was up to this hacking and they should be held responsible. They did what they needed to do by paying in order to keep the gas where it needed to be.

• I think that paying it was a good idea. I think that if we did not do that than we could of been in trouble and we would of ran out of gas. I think that we do need to find these hackers and maybe get our money back and punish them. I think that the hackers should be majorly charged.

• I agree with their decision of paying the ransom gas prices were skyrocketing and a shortage of gas would cripple certain parts of our nation. I think we should do our best to locate and take down the hackers responsible for this attack against our nation's infrastructure.

• I don't thnk that they should have paid the money since the price has just gone up and I don't think that we have done much with what has happened. I also agree that there should be a watch for the hackers to try to find them and put them away in jail for what they have done.

• I have to disagree with you, if Colonial would not have paid the 5 billion dollars the gas prices would have gone even higher and the gas shortages would have been worse. I do have to agree with you on what should happen with the hackers, the only problem is that they might be kind of hard to arrest. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker