Could Jack and Rose both have fit on the door?

On March 31st, 1909, The construction of the titanic started. It took over one year to fully frame the titanic and more then two years just to build the interior. Finally, it took off on April 10th, 1912. It was a successful four days into the voyage when the ship hit an iceberg at 23.6mph on April 14th at 11:40. 

The Titanic was designed to hold 32 lifeboats but only 20 got put on the ship because it made it look less cluttered. This would prove to be a huge mistake when only 1060 people could be guaranteed safety. Because there was a shortage in lifeboats, it was women and children first. Many rich men pushed their way to the front and snuck their way onto life boats. The ship sank fast, in less than 3 hours. 706 people died in the tragedy called the Titanic, 75% being women. The RMS Carpathia, which was 3 hours away, came to rescue the stranded survivors so it still took a few hours for them to hear about the tragedy and come to get them. 

James Cameron released The Titanic film 85 years after the disaster. It was super successful and still is today. It was the most expensive film made at that time with a budget of $200 million. Everyone believed the movie showed the tragedy really well and because of the budget it was made really well. The only disagreement was at the end of the movie, Jack puts Rose on the door and people think Jack could have fit too and he would have saved both of their lives. Although these are fictional characters and were not actual people on the Titanic, people were still annoyed with Jack. Just because the door was big enough, weight is also something to think about. If you re-watch the movie you'll see him trying to get on the door and it kinda tips a little. 

I think Jack could have fit on the door just fine, but the weight factor would be an issue. However, I also think he could have climbed on any other piece of furniture floating around and could have gotten out of the water that way. 

Do you think  Jack could have gotten on the door?

Have you ever seen The Titanic?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• It has been a very long time since the last time I watched the movie Titanic. I don't think that he would have been able to fit on the door. I picture like when your at a pool, and trying to get on a floaty while someone else is already on it. Difficult right? Now imagine it's not even a floaty, but a door. 

• I disagree, I think theres many ways he could have fit. I see where your coming from with the floaty thing but the door is a hard piece of wood unlike the flimsy floaty material.  

• I agree with you that he could have fit in the door but it might have take him a little longer. I didn't remember very well that part of the movie but if I rewateched it I am sure I will realize that he had space enough. I have watched The Titanic and really liked it. I think it is a very realistic film and well acted. 

• I feel like there was plenty of room on the door but if he had gotten on the door they both might have died. When something floats you can't put to much wait on it or it will sink. The door could only hold up one person otherwise it would have sunk. 

• I think that they both could have fit on the door, and sure the door might slip but they would have been able to both get on and not die. at the same time, they were in freezing water so they were not able to have a logical thought prosses. 

• I agree, they were probably not in the right mind set but I feel like in a life or death situation like that, your fight or flight instincts would kick in and you would do anything to survive. 

• Jake could have gotten on the door. Rose could have left room for him to get on the door. They have tested the theory before and it passed that jack could have gotten on that door, but at the same time they were both tired, freezing, traumatized and in shock so they probably didn't think straight. 

• I feel like Jack could have fit on the door. I like where you brought up the door slipping a bit, I feel like Jack and Rose could have done a little maneuvering and both gotten on eventually. Or if that didn't work, he could have also gotten onto a new piece of furniture close by. 

• I agree, although they were tired I think they could have both sat up. Thats probably the way they would have the most room but of course just laying down too. i also agree he could have found another peice of furniture.  

• Yes, 100% they both could have. It has been the argument in cinema for over the past 20 years. There was a test done where they took people of the same height and weight, placed them on the same door, and they survived. I have seen The Titanic at least 10 times and I can say it never gets old. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker