ChatGPT

What is ChatGPT? ChatGPT, which stands for chat pre-trained transformer, is an A.I., or artificial intelligence, programming designed by the tech company OpenAI. ChatGPT was created with the sole purpose of chatting with its users. It was released by OpenAI in late November of 2022. The A.I. chatbot gained large amounts of popularity for its extremely detailed and articulate responses to questions covering a wide variety of topics and concepts. Upon Open A.I’s release of ChatGPT the tech company more than doubled its value almost overnight; the company went from an initial valuation of roughly fourteen billion dollars to an estimated twenty-nine billion dollars.

Why is ChatGPT so popular? One of the main reasons that this specific artificial intelligence program became so popular was its capability to give detailed and comprehensive answers to virtually any question a user may have. This includes the ability to give full essay format answers when given a prompt and guidelines that it must follow. As one might guess, this became extremely popular amongst students of all educational levels and fields. It became very commonplace for students that did not want to put in the effort to create their very own original essay to simply put the prompt of the assignment into the A.I. chatbot’s system and have the artificial intelligence program create a response for them. 

It should not be much of a surprise that teachers were obviously not very fond of the use of ChatGPT, or any artificial intelligence programs similar to the one produced by OpenAI. Many teachers and school administrators took the step to ban and block this program from the computers of students and threatened harsh punishments for those that are caught using artificial intelligence chatbots to complete school work for them. 

In my personal opinion I believe that the teachers are completely in the right in this situation. These students that use chatbots like this are putting in virtually no time nor effort into these projects. It is one hundred percent cheating and there should be severe consequences for using programs like ChatGPT on school work. 

Have you heard of ChatGPT before?

Have you or anyone you know used A.I to complete an assignment before?

Do you agree that chatbots like this should be blocked on school computers?

https://www.businessinsider.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-chat-gpt-2023-1

https://the-decoder.com/openai-chatgpt-start-up-reportedly-worth-29-billion/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• No, I have not heard of ChatGPT before, but I am sure there are plenty of students that have. I don't know anyone who has used it before, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot of people that have. I think that it should probably be blocked on school computers because it is cheating.

• I agree with you that it should be blocked on school computers because it should most definetely be considered cheating.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker