ChatGPT

What is ChatGPT? ChatGPT, which stands for chat pre-trained transformer, is an A.I., or artificial intelligence, programming designed by the tech company OpenAI. ChatGPT was created with the sole purpose of chatting with its users. It was released by OpenAI in late November of 2022. The A.I. chatbot gained large amounts of popularity for its extremely detailed and articulate responses to questions covering a wide variety of topics and concepts. Upon Open A.I’s release of ChatGPT the tech company more than doubled its value almost overnight; the company went from an initial valuation of roughly fourteen billion dollars to an estimated twenty-nine billion dollars.

Why is ChatGPT so popular? One of the main reasons that this specific artificial intelligence program became so popular was its capability to give detailed and comprehensive answers to virtually any question a user may have. This includes the ability to give full essay format answers when given a prompt and guidelines that it must follow. As one might guess, this became extremely popular amongst students of all educational levels and fields. It became very commonplace for students that did not want to put in the effort to create their very own original essay to simply put the prompt of the assignment into the A.I. chatbot’s system and have the artificial intelligence program create a response for them. 

It should not be much of a surprise that teachers were obviously not very fond of the use of ChatGPT, or any artificial intelligence programs similar to the one produced by OpenAI. Many teachers and school administrators took the step to ban and block this program from the computers of students and threatened harsh punishments for those that are caught using artificial intelligence chatbots to complete school work for them. 

In my personal opinion I believe that the teachers are completely in the right in this situation. These students that use chatbots like this are putting in virtually no time nor effort into these projects. It is one hundred percent cheating and there should be severe consequences for using programs like ChatGPT on school work. 

Have you heard of ChatGPT before?

Have you or anyone you know used A.I to complete an assignment before?

Do you agree that chatbots like this should be blocked on school computers?

https://www.businessinsider.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-chat-gpt-2023-1

https://the-decoder.com/openai-chatgpt-start-up-reportedly-worth-29-billion/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice and am glad you educated people on it. Well done!!

• I personally have never used or heard of anyone that uses ChateGPT. I also haven't used an A.I to complete any assignments. But, I think that chatbots should be blocked on school computers because I think students need to do their own work just like everyone else.

• I have never heard of ChatGPT before and I don't think I know of anyone using it. I think these bots should be banned from all school computers because I feel like it is just another form of cheating. I also think it would be weird getting answers from an AI.

• I have not heard of chat GPT before and I have never used it or heard of anyone using it. I think that these should be banned because if students can use these it is like cheating. I couldn't imagine having an AI give me homework answers though, that would be kind of weird. 

• I haven’t heard of ChatGPT specifically, but I am aware that there are programs where students can use artificial intelligence to cheat. I have never used a program like this. I think it is very reasonable for schools to block this program from computers in an attempt to prevent cheating. 

• I have never heard of ChatGPT, but I have heard about artificial intelligence. I feel like schools are in the right in banning it off computers. It is just another way for students to cheat. I feel like it is also probably very hard to catch since there would be no plagiarism, and no programs can really pick up on that. I feel like AI is very interesting, I just hope it doesn't get too powerful. 

• I had not hear this specific website name but I knew up it. I have not ever used anything like this for my assignments and I do not know anyone who has. I think that this is one of the things that should deffinatly be blocked on student's computers. One problem with this though would be if they had a personal computer and used this program on that computer and put it on a doc to then have it on their school computer.

• I do think that some students would definelty think to try and use it on a different computer, but I doubt that if a student isn't willing to just do the work, that they would go through the extra steps it would take to do it that way.

• I have never even heard of ChatGPT, much less used it. As far as I know, nobody I know has used it either. An AI programming like this should definetly be banned on school computers because the work is not the student's and it's not fair to the students that actually do their work.

• I agree with you that this AI programming should be banned from school computers because it is extremely unfair to those students that actually do their work on their own.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker