Can Money Buy Happiness?

Some people say happiness is directly correlated to money, others say that you can be happy without money. Some studies have shown that money can buy happiness and other psychologists have shown that money doesn't buy happiness. What do you think?

One side of this argument is that money buys happiness. In an experiment by PNAS, they studied how happy people felt when they had extra money to spend over 3 months. After the 3 months were over, the families recorded higher amounts of happiness. 79% of people believe that if they had more money they would be happier. Money can buy luxury items but also prevent stress in many households. Stress can be caused by bills and payments that are due. Money can bring in items that make us happy and free us from problems that cause stress and fear. Many can agree that money can buy happiness but only to a certain extent.

The other side is that money doesn’t buy happiness and that happiness is earned not bought. Money can buy material items that make us happy but money itself can’t buy the real feeling of happiness. Studies have also shown that people with very little money or no money at all can be truly happy too. Their happiness doesn’t depend on money and expensive items. 

In my opinion, I think that money can buy things to make you happy but I don’t think it can really buy happiness in the end. I don’t think that material items and money can buy and give you the real feeling of happiness. Although there are experiences that people can buy to make them happy. 

Do you think money can buy happiness?

Can you be happy without money? 

Source 1 

Source 2 

Source 3

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, I think that most people who have money can be happier than those without. 

• I think money can buy hapiness because you can buy what you want and that can make you happy. Therefore having money is able to make you happy. I think that I could be happy either with or without money. I do think however, that with money you can be happier. You can travel and see the world and beautiful places. 

• I think that money can buy happiness, since you need money to have "nice" things. I understand that money isn't everything, and you can buy some cheaper things that can still make you happy, but having money can also help you gain new experiences, such as seeing the world, as well.

• Yes, I think that money can buy happiness.  I believe that the things that you buy can make you happy.  If I had unlimited money then I would be very happy.  I would build a building for my dad so he could restore his old trucks which would make me happy.

• I think that money can buy happiness to a certin extent. It can buy objects and things that can make you happy but there are some things that it can't buy. I think helps when people don't have to worry about money but at the end of the day, money isn't everything.

• I agree, when people don't have to worry about money they are more likely to be happy and less stressed but money is not everything. 

• I think that money can buy things that make you happy but money itself can not buy happiness. many people can be happy without money, most people like money but can still be happy with just some money. happiness isn't something that can be bought and often money is just fleeting happiness. 

• I agree with you that money can buy you lots of nice and fun things but in the end it cannot make you happy. I think that you can be happy without money but if you dont have any money than you wont have any fun. I think that with some money you can do fun things or buy more things to make you happy.

• I agree, money can buy nice things but I don't think that money itself can make you happy. 

• Money can buy happiness in my opinion, because you will be able to afford to go on vacations, and you will be able to buy nice cars that are fun to drive. Money may not be everything but I think that if you have a lot of money you will be happier than if you have no money. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker