Brittney Griner

The top US hostage affairs official on Sunday reflected on conducting the prisoner swap that led to brittney griner's release, saying the WNBA star e=immediately thanked the crew returning her to the United States.

"When she finally got on the US plane, carstens said, 'Brittany,you must have been through a lot over the last 10 months. Hears your seat. Please feel free to decompress. We'll give you your space.' " She said, 'oh no. I've been in prision for 10 months now listenig to russian, I want to talk, But first of all, who are these guys?' And she moved right past me and went to every menber on that crew,looked them in the eyes, shook their hands and asked about them adn go their names, making a personal connection with them. it wa sreally amazing," Carsten recalled

she was given a sense , he said, that she would be going home that day, and it felt real the moment he wa able to board the other plane adn tell her that, "on behalf of the President of the United States, "I'm  her to take you home.

"At that point, we have to go through a little more of the choreography to get her on the plane, it usually takes about three minutes," Carstens said.

While he said Griner talked about her ordeal during the trip, he declined to elaborate on the details."But know this, even as we are welcoming someone home, we still have work to do. So as I am shaking Brittneys hands and we are going to the aircraft and having this great conversation, my brain is already thinking about Paul Whelan.

What do you think happend to Paul Whelan?

How are Griner and her wife doing right now?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that people are happy she is home but not happy how the arrangment was settled. We traded a wnba basketball star who was dumb and brought drugs into russia for a russian arms dealer called the merchant of death. I think that we should have gotten both back for who we traded.

• I think Griner and her wife are super happy to be back together but what about the Weaners family. The former marine has been in Russian custody for a while now. I get that Griner is well known but Weaner served our county and is now sitting in jail for it.  I think we still need to put up a fight to get him back. 

• I think that Griner and her wife are happy right now because they are back together. However, I also think that they have to process the last months and everything that Griner went through. I hope that they will bring Paul Whelan back home too eventually. 

• I can understand why people wanted her home, because she was well known, but I don't really understand why Paul Whelan didn't get taken back too. He was a former marine, and has been in Russian custody for a number of years now. I get that they tried to bring him home too, but I just think that they really need to focus on bringing him back home because he has been there for far too long.

• I don't know what happened to paul whelan I can guess some stuff but I won't say any of that. I think that griner and her wife are doing good right now because they are back together from a long time ago. I think that this was a interesting story and good and informational.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker