Bringing Water to The Desert

Recently, scientist have made a breakthrough in atmospheric water generator technology. A team of scientist has created a solar-powered device that can literally make water out of thin air. This device can take humidity from the air and purify into drinking water, even in particularly arid or desert-like environments. Essentially it is a box-like device that has a custom metal-organic framework on the inside that works as a sponge. While the box is open it absorbs as much water as it possibly can and when it is manually closed it uses the power of the sun, the sun heats up the material so it releases the water it stored into a vapor. Then using a condenser it cools the water vapor into drinkable water even in extremely hot climates.  

What do you think this machine can do for the future? Do you think this could be used practically to help people in need of clean water? 

wang prototype

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/19/technology/future/solar-powered-device-drinking-water/index.html?iid=ob_homepage_tech_pool

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I feel like this machine could bring everyone out of poverty and give clean water to everyone everywhere. This could totally bring people clean water as ling as you brought a lot of them to each house hold in need of the clean water. This is a great invention and i'm glad people now get to enjoy clean water everywhere around the world.

• I think that this invention could be very useful to help make sure people have fresh water when they need it and can't get it. This machine could help people who are in the desert to have water to drink, and for people in 3rd world countries that need a source of clean water. 

• I think the machine can make us be able to use more of the desert space and be able to live farther out. I think this could be used because people in Africa can get a good water supply from it and be able to not worry as much

• It could help make inhospitable places more hospitable 

• This sounds like an amazing invention! It's awesome to know that we are making such incredible scientific inventions and improvements.  I think this machine will be very useful in the future.  Deserts are extremely dry areas, but may be more livable now due to this invention. Clean drinking water is a major problem all over the world, and I think this machine could help with this issue, as well! 

• This machine seems really cool. Lack of clean water is a major problem in the world today, this machine could really help others. It's a great idea and will probably be used in the future.

• This can help a lot. Like for people who live in the desert and are dehydrated this can help them to live longer. Or we could start growing stuff in green houses in deserts. This could help with getting cleaner water too.

• I think this is really cool. Because some times people get stranded in dessert and wont have any water to drink. With these devices they will be able to save many lives. 

• I think it looks pretty useful. If it can do as it says it can do with out breaking, we could help the world a lot more were they don't have access to clean water or it could help grow things easier.

• It would make water bottles obsolete, for sure, so instead of bringing a water bottle with you wherever you go, you can just take the machine. Yes, i think that some places that dont have clean water could use this in order to get clean water.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker