Body cameras for police?

Due to the issues in Ferguson, Missouri where Michael Brown was shot and killed by a police officer, a question has been brought up by many people: should law enforcement officers be wearing body cameras? Many people believe that by having officers wear a camera on themselves that records the interactions they have with people, this will prevent the situation of a police officer treating a person poorly. People that support the idea believe that officers and the public will feel the need to "behave" if they know that their actions are being recorded. 

What do you think of this? Do you think it should be mandatory for officers to wear these body cameras? Do you think having them wear cameras would make a difference in how officers and the public act?

Find the article here

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Again, very interesting topic and well done overall!!

• I think it should be mandatory for the police to body cameras because it would give us an accurate view on what happened. Also I think that this is a really great idea.

• I think that it is a great idea. I think that they should wear them because if they killed some young boy they could say they didn't and get off clean. I think it would. They would end up thinking about there actions more. Such as, should i shoot him or should i just put him in jail... It would also serve as a great deal of evidence in a drug raid or a stake out.

• I think they should wear cameras because then it would make cases like this one easier and it would show the real story and what really happened. Having the police wear the cameras would probably make the police act better and probably make the people act better to and maybe tell the truth because they know that they have the film of what really happened.

• It's a great idea especially if the officer is apprehending a criminal anything that happens away from any cameras they will have footage of evidence that can be used as leverage in Court.  Also it might straighten up the police officers because they know they are always on camera. If they do something wrong like attacking an unarmed suspect there will be proof. 

• I think it's a good idea to put out the cameras because in cases like the Ferguson one nobody really knows the truth about what happened exactly. I'm sure it would stop some officers from treating people badly. It's also a great use of evidence in situations. 

• I think it's a good idea too especially when it comes to using it as evidence, like you said.

• I like the idea of having body cameras on police officers, because not only may it prevent police officers from treating the public badly, but it also will serve as an accurate representation of what happened in situations such as these. If all policemen had cameras on them, there would be no debate between two opposing forces on what actually happened in situation like Ferguson.

• I agree!

• It might help stop some people, but also some people are going to do somethings regardless. It is a good idea, it would be a good thing to try out and see how well it works. It'd help so there wouldn't be so much investigation.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker