BLM

Black lives matter riots started in April of 2020. When George Floyd was killed by a policeman after breaking the law. Which caused many African Americans to start rioting by lighting stores on fire and killing people. They did this to prove a point that the police force targets black people. They also say that the most African American killings are by policemen. Which is very far from the truth. In 2020 only 8% of African Americans were killed by the police whereas 83% were killed by African American gangs. 

The riots went on for many months and hundreds of innocent people passed from them. Many businesses were also shut down or lit on fire. The riots started in Minneapolis where George passed. George was on the ground because he bought a pack of cigarettes with a fake bill. Between 1997 and 2005, Floyd served eight jail terms on various charges, including drug possession, theft, and trespass. Goerge was arrested 23 times, attempted to steal 3 cars, and many more violent crimes. So when people keep saying he was innocent, they're wrong. This  didn't mean he deserved to be killed. But the police did have a reason to look out for him and it wasn't because of his skin color it was because he had a bad criminal record. 

My opinion on this is that the police had a reason to put him on the ground. They didn't have to kill him but I understand why he didn't lift his knee. Because many criminals say that as a lie to get their knee off them then they are able to run. I think it's ridiculous that the media still calls this a peaceful protest and not a riot. This was anything further than a peaceful protest. People were lighting stores on fire with hundreds of people in them. Breaking into people's homes and shooting them. Lighting the American flag on fire and many more. 

In A Riot's Ashes: Minneapolis Business Owners Support Protesters, But Wish  It Would've Gone Differently

Do you agree with the BLM riots?

Do you think this was a riot or peaceful protest?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that some BLM riots were not peacful but some were. I don't agree with the ones where they stole, burnt, and destroyed places. I think that racism is a big thing in todays age but it was worse back then and I feel some people are making it seem as if they are being treated as they did back then. 

• I agree, some were peaceful but magority of them were violent. 

• I really don't agree with you, citizens shouldn't have to be worried about the police- who are supposed to be taking care of them- killing them. These riots are the direct cause of years and years of black people having to experience racism and prejudice from part of the police and no one doing anything about it. So yes, as much as I agree that steeling and burning up stores isn't very appropriate, it helps show the impact these acts of racism theve been experiencing from years had on the black community, if the government doesn't care about the police unjustly targeting black people, why should they care about burning up some store? 

• I disagree, I personally don think the police is bias to white people I also don thing burning down stores proves anyhting about racism. If anything it made them seem even more immature and no one wants to listen to them or agree with what there rioting about. 

• I agree with the BLM but they should have protest a other way. I think that they should have done a peacful protest and not a violent way.

• I agree, I think they should have done it peacefully and not so violent.

• I think that the BLM riots got way out of hand. The reasoning behind them did not justify their actions. Throughout BLM there may have been some peaceful protests but more than 70% of them were riots and a lot of people suffered because of their stupid actions.

• I agree, they were way out of hand and what they did didint justify their actions. 

• i agree witht he BLM riots the police shouldn't of shot him and they should of delt with it different and I think the riot was a little to much

• I dont agree with the riots I think if they would have been peaceful it would have benn better. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker