BLM

Black lives matter riots started in April of 2020. When George Floyd was killed by a policeman after breaking the law. Which caused many African Americans to start rioting by lighting stores on fire and killing people. They did this to prove a point that the police force targets black people. They also say that the most African American killings are by policemen. Which is very far from the truth. In 2020 only 8% of African Americans were killed by the police whereas 83% were killed by African American gangs. 

The riots went on for many months and hundreds of innocent people passed from them. Many businesses were also shut down or lit on fire. The riots started in Minneapolis where George passed. George was on the ground because he bought a pack of cigarettes with a fake bill. Between 1997 and 2005, Floyd served eight jail terms on various charges, including drug possession, theft, and trespass. Goerge was arrested 23 times, attempted to steal 3 cars, and many more violent crimes. So when people keep saying he was innocent, they're wrong. This  didn't mean he deserved to be killed. But the police did have a reason to look out for him and it wasn't because of his skin color it was because he had a bad criminal record. 

My opinion on this is that the police had a reason to put him on the ground. They didn't have to kill him but I understand why he didn't lift his knee. Because many criminals say that as a lie to get their knee off them then they are able to run. I think it's ridiculous that the media still calls this a peaceful protest and not a riot. This was anything further than a peaceful protest. People were lighting stores on fire with hundreds of people in them. Breaking into people's homes and shooting them. Lighting the American flag on fire and many more. 

In A Riot's Ashes: Minneapolis Business Owners Support Protesters, But Wish  It Would've Gone Differently

Do you agree with the BLM riots?

Do you think this was a riot or peaceful protest?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic and great job replying to student comments! This is a big topic. I think you should have talked about the history of BLM first. Educate people about it. Your first paragraph is very choppy. Be surre to proofread. You also include no sources to back up what you say. Be sure to do that otherwise how do we know what you say is accurate.

• I do not agree with the BLM protest. Sure, in some instances black people are treated poorly compared to different races, however I think people handled this in a bad way. Some protest were peacful, however serveral turned into riots, and became violent, and I do not think that is okay.

• I personally disagree with these riots and were not right in the first place. They got there own month out of rioting. I think all lives matter and should just live a normal life. george floyd wasn't the best man but he didn't deserve to die like that. That was a riot.

• I do not agree with the BLM riots because it was a very non peaceful way of getting their views out to the public. If they would have done it in a better way then I would completly understand them and take my time to view what they have to speal about. But there was no reason for them to cause damage and harm over something that could have been done peacefully. 

• I do not agree with BLM riots because not all of them were peaceful. There were a lot of buildings set on fire and a lot of people killed that shouldn't have been. I don't think that the riots were a good method of protesting.

• No, I do not agree with BLM and their riots at all. All of the people protesting were just low lifes that have no job or money and wanted something to do. All of the people protesting also thought they were entitled just because of their skin color and are hypocrites by only blaming white police officers.

• I could see what the people who were protesting BLM were thinking, and of course they were angry, but at the same time, they needed to draw the line at peaceful protests and riots. Many businesses suffered at the expense of the protests. Even my mom had to board up the windows in her office in Omaha, because she didn't know how well the protest would go. Yes, there has been a lot of injustice towards african americans, and yes, there are some police officers who have done bad things, but there are a lot more people who are good and willing to step up towards what is right. 

• I agree, they needed to be a lot more peaceful and it made them seem very imature and petty. 

• I think that most of were peacefull, but of course the more violent ones are covered more by the media. People shouldn't be scared of the police, they are there to serve and protect people, not kill them like the officers that killed George. African Americans have been subjected to centuries of racism and misstreatment. They were protesting because of that, not all because of the George Floyd incidnet alone.

• I agree, but the only reason they started was because of George.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker