Billionaire Makes Bid That Could Save Toys 'R' Us

Isaac Larian, the CEO of Bratz dolls and Little Tikes toys, placed a formal offer of $675 million to purchase Toys 'R' Us stores. This offer comes after the chain filed for bankrupty in fall of last year. A failed fundraiser to save the childhood toy store chain led to Larian wanting to bid with his own money and financing from banks and investors. The reasoning behind his purchase is extremely heartfelt; The feeling that comes along with walking into a toy store as a child is something he wants his grandson to experience. He plans to buy hundreds of stores scattered throughout The United States and Canada. His intentions are to create a fun family experience with a modernized twist so that kids in this day and age will still be interested. 

1. What do you think about Larian's investment choice? Will it benefit him in the long run?

I think that Larian made a wonderful investment choice because although parents love to shop online, there are still some parents out there that prefer walking into stores and knowing what they're going to get rather than having to hope it's what they want. Online shopping keeps becoming more and more popular, but with proper marketing techniques, I think Larian made a terrific purchase that could be worth a lot of money in the future. If the company improves its sales and profits, I think it will benefit him in the long run and he won't regret his investment. 

2. What are some ways Larian could modernize Toys 'R' Us stores and make them more up to date?

In the article he mentioned making it more like a Disney World experience, like adding more technology. I think that's a very good idea since nowadays kids only ever want to play on their electronics. As a businessman you have to target what you know will be a success, but I think he could also stick to the regular kids toys like stuffed animals and board games. 

3. Did your family ever shop or walk through a Toys 'R' Us store? What are some memories you have involving Toys 'R' Us?

I always remember walking through Toys 'R' Us and just being amazed at how many toys were everywhere and wanting every single one. I think that's why a lot of the time when I ask people about Toys 'R' Us they often answer with something along the lines that their parents never took them in one because they would throw a tantrum when they couldn't get a toy that they wanted. I personally was sad and a part of my childhood was taken from me when I heard Toys 'R' Us might being going out of business, so finding this article gave me part of my childhood back. 

Article Link

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Super job!

• I think this is a great choice! Obviously, Larian has enough money to support himself and his family for a long time. I also think buying Toys R Us is a great way to bring in extra money. All children beg their parents to bring them there - and all kids go there at least once. I honestly think he will make a profit off of this purchase. 

A lot of Toys 'R' Us' are really run down. I think if he updates a lot of the buildings and brings in new toys kids would be head over heels for Toys 'R' Us to be open. I also think parents would be more willing to bring their children to redone/fancier stores. 

When I was younger my grandma brought me to Toys 'R' Us for my birthday. Other than that I didn't really go there because the stores were becoming run down.

• I think if Larian makes some updates to the Toys R Us stores then his investement will be hugely beneficial. I think he should update the look of the store as well as the toys within the store. I have shopped in a Toys R Us store and it was really exciting because there were toys everywhere. 

• I think that his investment choice was a good choice and could benefit him in the long run because although online shopping is becoming big, walking into the store as a kid was always so much fun to get to see everything and I think any kid would enjoy going into a store with lots of toys to choose from. Yes, it was a reward getting to go pick something out and was always so hard to make a decision with all the options.

• Why has online shopping become such a trend? Do  you think online shopping will ever go back to being a thing of the past? 

• I think its amazing that he wants to do this. I think it will makes kids very happen and keep the generatiosn young for know. I think making the stores look ore inviting and have all the modern day toys that kids want.  just remeber having stuffed animals from Toys R us.

• I think if he changes it to be modified to this day and age, than his investment will pay off. I think he could include drones and technology toys too. We went to Toys'R'Us sometimes but not very often.

• What changes could he make so that the store will fit in this day and age? Do you think he should keep the Toys 'R' Us title or come up with a new one? 

• I think it is a great idea but I think it will cost him lots in the long run because people can get toys cheaper online than driving to a store where prices are way too high. I think he should make them cheaper. I think I only went there once or twice getting a friend a birthday present.

• 1- I think that it was a great decisions on his part. There's really nothing like going into a shop to pick up something you want whereas online shopping is nice there's nothing quite like picking up a toy that you've been wanting the day its paid for. 2- I'm not sure about all the T 'R' US but most of the ones I've been to look like warehouses. So just adding some simple decoration would be a first step. For electronic toys they could set it up similar to an apple store. And do similar things in other parts of the store. A really nice Toys 'R' US I went to had a huge isle for things like telescopes and science toys, they had brightly colored tables set out to examine the different kits, and a couple of the nicer telescopes set out. Along with space themed carpet and decorations handing from the ceiling over that part. 3- When I was the age that Toys 'R' US is marketed for we didn't mainly because there wasn't one remotely close to where we lived. But when my younger cousins came around we started making more trips to them. So other than the one with the supper nice science section, and the ones that looked like warehoused I don't have many memories at them. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker