Beloved Hippo Dies After a Brutal Attack

In a zoo in the country of El Salvador, individuals broke in to the zoo. They went to a beloved hippo’s enclosure and beat him badly with blunt and sharp objects. The morning after the brake in and beating, Zoo officials noticed that the hippo named Gustavito was acting very strangely by not coming out of the water.  He also would not eat. Vlandan Henriquez, the zoo director, said that bruises, puncture wounds, and lacerations were found all over the hippo’s body. They found wounds on the hippo’s feet and cheeks, from when he was trying to defend himself from his attackers.  The Zoo director says that the wounds might have been from an ice pick. There were also injuries found in the mouth of the hippo. Even with the zoo's work in trying to save Gustavito, unfortunately he died on Sunday. 

Questions:

1.)    What do you think that the punishment should be for the people that did this when they are found?

2.)    What would you do if you worked at the zoo to help prevent this from ever happening again?

I think that when the attackers are caught that they should be sent to jail for killing the hippo. They should also be charged with breaking in to the zoo.  The attackers / murderers should also be charged with animal cruelty with a prison sentence.   If I was a worker at the zoo, to try to prevent this from ever happening again, I would install more cameras to watch the animals more closely, and always make sure that everything is looked up before leaving, to insure the safety of all of the animals.  If there was enough money, I would hire security guards to watch the zoo each night.

http://http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/02/28/beloved-hippo-dies-after-brutal-attack-el-salvador-zoo/98515818/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think the people should go to jail for a very long time due to hurting and killing other creatures on the same planet for what they call "fun". I would try to push for more security and a guard who always there all day and all night watching over the endangered species.

• I think that this is just another case of people being so unhappy with themselves that they have to find enjoyment in beating an animal. Violence is never the answer. I think these people should be arrested or fined for this animal cruelty. There is absolutely no reason to harm an animal unless it is self defense. If I was in charge of a zoo, I would invest in new security appliances and guards. 

• I think they should be charged with breaking and entering, property damage, and animal abuse. They should be put in jail for a long time because what they did was awful. I think they should install more security measures like alarms and cameras to keep this from happening again.

• I agree with you Dillon, I think the attackers should get the same treatment they used on the animals. It just blows my mind that people could do this to such an amazing animal. 

• I think that the attackers should be sent to jail. I would probably increase the security at the zoo. 

• I think that the people who broke in to the zoo and killed the hippo should at least go to jail or more. To prevent something like this happening again, they could have more cameras put up and people to guard the zoo at night so it is watched 24/7.

• I agree, the zoo needs to set up some type of extra security in order to ensure the animals' safety at the zoo. In general, the zoo needs to find some type of solution so this crime doesn't reoccur. 

• I think if the attackers are caught they should be sent to jail for animal abuse and killing the animal. If I worked at the zoo I would set up higher fences and put lots of cameras up. I would probably also have a security guard walking around. I also think if the attackers are caught that the zoo should lock them in a cage and beat them with the objects they used on the hippo. 

• I think they should be put in prison because it was extremely violent and illegal. I think the zoo should be more safe about what they have in the zoo so it won't happen again.

• They should go to jail for animal abuse. I would have a better security system or something, 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker