Banning transgenders in sports

Over the past week the Kentucky legislature has passed a ban to prevent  transgender women from competing in women's sports. The lawmakers who voted for this ban were protecting the fairness in athletics and protecting girls sports. Thursday afternoon the bill was passed in a 26-9 vote with only a few democrats and republicans voting against it. This has caused many uproars with the lgbtq civil rights organizations. They say that this policy will put trans children’s mental health even more at risk. 

Kentucky is not the only ones who have passed this policy, 19 other states have. This has not happened in Iowa yet. I think it should because if Iowa or any state lets transgender Women compete in women's sports we will be overtaken. For example, Lea Thompson before she transitioned to a woman was ranked 462 in the men's division. After she transitioned she was 1 for girls. This was a big change for the women because instead of going against other women they now have to compete with a biological man. So now not even a woman can win women's swimming. The trans rights activists say that Lea is taking estrogen and is losing muscle and becoming more like a woman. Although Lea might be taking estrogen it still takes over 3 years to fully lose a little bit of muscle and they cant be working out for the first year. So Lea Thompson is still working out and not losing any muscle from transitioning. Kentucky made this policy based on the fact that they do not want their Women's sports to be taken over by transgender, or biological men. 

In my opinion I think that every state needs to have this policy. Or the states should have individual trangender male and female sports. I think that the more men transition to women and compete in our sports the more women's sports will be taken over by biological males. ITs already happening. For example women of courage award was presented by Jill Biden to democratic legislator Leigh Finke. She was a transgender woman. So not even women can win women of the year. 

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/mar/21/leigh-finke-transgender-legislator-wins-usa-today-/

https://nypost.com/2021/12/28/official-transgender-swimmer-lia-thomas-is-destroying-the-sport/

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/ncaa-title-for-lia-thomas-is-joke-with-biological-women-as-punchline-hardly-a-laughing-matter/ 

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/can-hormone-therapy-cause-muscle-loss-20090929106#:~:text=Muscle%20loss%20(and%20an%20increase,on%20the%20lookout%20for%20osteoporosis.)

https://www.lgbtmap.org/equality-maps/sports_participation_bans

Should transgenders compete in their transitioning sports?

Should transgenders have their own category to compete in and was Kentucky right for passing that policy?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree that the people who think they are a different gender should get mental health. 

• I dont think that transgeneder people who have recently transitioned, should be able to play there new genders sport. I feel that they could have unfair advantages. HOwever, If they switched when they where younger maybe it isnt as big a deal. I feel if they are really strong than thats unfair. But i also think its a difficult subject. 

• I don't think that boys should get to play in girls sports or girls should get to play in boys sports. Boys are naturally stronger, jump higher, and are usually better at certain athletic things so if they play in a girls sport they're most likely going to do very well and that's not very fair to the girls. Yes if anything they should just have their own category to avoid problems and keep everything more fair. 

• I agree that boys are naturally stonger than girls. 

• I think that transgender people need to compete in sports of the gender they were born with. It isn't discrimination, it just goves the transgender athletes an unfair advantage. If we allow transgender females to compete in female sports, it is unfair to the athletes that were born female.

• I agree that it isnt discrimination to put them in their biological sports.

• I don't think that transgender females should be allowed to compete in women's sports; however, I do think that there should be a transgender category in sports. The issue is that no matter how many surgeries you undergo to transition from male to female, you will have the physical advantage of being born male. I think that there should be a transgender category in all sports so that we don't run into issues like this in the future.

• I think that transgender people should stay in there biological group because it is unfair to womens sports because men usually do greater in sports. I think it would be fine if transgender had there own category but thats not necessary. Kentucky was right for passing that policy.

• I agree that it is unfair to womens sports. 

• I think that transgender people should play in sports without testosterone boosters because that is like using steriods. They should stay in the gender they were born with/ biological gender. I think Kentucky was right for passing the policy.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker