Baby Formula Shortage

As of May 2022, 43 percent of formula products went out of stock nationwide. Due to this decrease in supply, there is an extremely high demand for baby formula. prices have spiked exponentially.  "As high as 18 percent," says CAP.  This has caused many people to "stockpile" baby formula.  Some are even buying the formula and selling it to vulnerable parents at a "marked-up" price on sites like eBay. The shortage began when a company known as "Abbot Nutrition" had a product recall, and was shut down for several months. This was a supply shock because "Abbot Nutrition" was responsible for 43 percent of baby formula production. Many blame the U.S food administration for allowing only a few big corporations to take over the supply of formula. In an attempt to solve this shortage issue, foreign products are being airlifted to try to help solve this problem. The U.S. has also declared the Defense Product act. This gives factories first grabs on the ingredients needed to make the baby formula. 

In conclusion, the shortage of baby formula has caused terrible issues for families and children. I think this is terrible and the government should, moving forward,focus on backup plans for factories that are shut down in the food production industry.

Sources; https://www.americanprogress.org/article/the-national-baby-formula-shortage-and-the-inequitable-u-s-food-system/#:~:text=equitable%20food%20system.-,The%20baby%20formula%20crisis%20and%20the%20conditions%20that%20created%20it,temporarily%20shut%20down%20the%20facility.

10927692855?profile=RESIZE_400x

Has anyone you know been affected by this shortage? (If yes, Explain how)

What are your thoughts on people buying formula and reselling it for a higher price? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I have heard about this shortage, and there have been past shortages. Like during the peak of covid-19, there was a toilet paper shortage as well as a diaper and formula shortage. Mothers continue to be pushed aside as big corporations play around with the resources they need and it is horrifying to think that some mothers simply cannot feed their children on this basis.

• I agree it is horrifying. Shortages are a terrible thing especially when it's necessary things. 

• I think that the formula being baught and resold is just suply and demand and that would happen if this happened to any product and it smart for the company to do but sucks for the people who need to buy it. I personally do not know anyone who has been effected it by the shortage, but I am sure the people that it has effected have had no other choice but to buy the overpriced formula.

• True it is supply and demand. I feel bad for the parents. 

• I dont know anyone who has been affected by this shortage but i do think there are many women who are. I dont agree with the people that are buying and reselling for high prices. If this keeps going on this couold cause many problems in the future. 

• Thanks for commenting. I agree it can cause a lot of future problems. 

• I think people buying formula and reselling it is very rude and a mean thing to do. Because the people with babys are willing to do anything to feed there new born and people reselling it are probably selling it at a very high price. I hope the formula companys are able to figure something out and fix this shortage. 

• I agree to resell baby formula isn't right. I think any other product would be ok but food for babies isnt. 

• I personally don't know anyone affected by this shortage. I think it is not good that people resell them for higher prices because there might be some people who don't have enough money to buy them as expensive as they sell them. I think government should be helping this problem and not allowing people to resell it.

• I'm glad you mentioned that a lot of people can't afford baby formula. A lot of people arnt thinking about that. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker