Baby Formula Shortage

As of May 2022, 43 percent of formula products went out of stock nationwide. Due to this decrease in supply, there is an extremely high demand for baby formula. prices have spiked exponentially.  "As high as 18 percent," says CAP.  This has caused many people to "stockpile" baby formula.  Some are even buying the formula and selling it to vulnerable parents at a "marked-up" price on sites like eBay. The shortage began when a company known as "Abbot Nutrition" had a product recall, and was shut down for several months. This was a supply shock because "Abbot Nutrition" was responsible for 43 percent of baby formula production. Many blame the U.S food administration for allowing only a few big corporations to take over the supply of formula. In an attempt to solve this shortage issue, foreign products are being airlifted to try to help solve this problem. The U.S. has also declared the Defense Product act. This gives factories first grabs on the ingredients needed to make the baby formula. 

In conclusion, the shortage of baby formula has caused terrible issues for families and children. I think this is terrible and the government should, moving forward,focus on backup plans for factories that are shut down in the food production industry.

Sources; https://www.americanprogress.org/article/the-national-baby-formula-shortage-and-the-inequitable-u-s-food-system/#:~:text=equitable%20food%20system.-,The%20baby%20formula%20crisis%20and%20the%20conditions%20that%20created%20it,temporarily%20shut%20down%20the%20facility.

10927692855?profile=RESIZE_400x

Has anyone you know been affected by this shortage? (If yes, Explain how)

What are your thoughts on people buying formula and reselling it for a higher price? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice that has not been done this school year so +5. I do think your summary is brief overall but yoou did a great job replying to student comments!

• I peronally was unaware of this. This is the first time that I am hearing about the baby formual shortage. I don't think people should be allowed to buy and resell baby formula just because it is not there product that there are producing.

• I haven't heard of anyone being affected by the shortage. I personally think it's really weird to try to make money off of people kids who need it just to get a little money out of it especially if they don't even need the baby formula.

• I do not know anyone that has been affected by this shortage. Personally, I think that the people who are buying and reselling are taking advantage of an economic opportunity. However, the way that they're operating by selling at a higher price is negatively affecting people who NEED it.

• I have an aunt who just had a baby and she said that it is becoming harder and harder to buy formula. This is an awful thing as most families buy lots of formula because it can be hard on the mom to feed the baby all by herself. I think that people buying formula and selling it for a higher price is sort of business savy, but also wrong. You shouldn't buy up all the formula just to make a profit off of it.

• It is becoming super difficult! It is so awful. 

• I have seen many people with this issue aswell and I argee with the pollocy that you can only buy 2 packages at a time. Aswell I think that people buy and reselling formula for a profit isn't right and should not be done.

• I also agree with the policy of 2 so others can feed there babies. 

• I have seen many people on social media complaining about this and they have the right to. I know a lot of women who are pregnant who didnt breastfeed their first baby so they are already stockinhg up and i think its a good idea you can only take two formula so they dont run out 

• Your right alot of women use formupa right away. I think they should make it so you can only grab 2 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker