Baby Formula Shortage

As of May 2022, 43 percent of formula products went out of stock nationwide. Due to this decrease in supply, there is an extremely high demand for baby formula. prices have spiked exponentially.  "As high as 18 percent," says CAP.  This has caused many people to "stockpile" baby formula.  Some are even buying the formula and selling it to vulnerable parents at a "marked-up" price on sites like eBay. The shortage began when a company known as "Abbot Nutrition" had a product recall, and was shut down for several months. This was a supply shock because "Abbot Nutrition" was responsible for 43 percent of baby formula production. Many blame the U.S food administration for allowing only a few big corporations to take over the supply of formula. In an attempt to solve this shortage issue, foreign products are being airlifted to try to help solve this problem. The U.S. has also declared the Defense Product act. This gives factories first grabs on the ingredients needed to make the baby formula. 

In conclusion, the shortage of baby formula has caused terrible issues for families and children. I think this is terrible and the government should, moving forward,focus on backup plans for factories that are shut down in the food production industry.

Sources; https://www.americanprogress.org/article/the-national-baby-formula-shortage-and-the-inequitable-u-s-food-system/#:~:text=equitable%20food%20system.-,The%20baby%20formula%20crisis%20and%20the%20conditions%20that%20created%20it,temporarily%20shut%20down%20the%20facility.

10927692855?profile=RESIZE_400x

Has anyone you know been affected by this shortage? (If yes, Explain how)

What are your thoughts on people buying formula and reselling it for a higher price? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I have seen many people on social media complain or be affected by this shortage of baby formula. But I personally don't know anyone who is. I think that it is wrong that people are buying formula and reselling it at a higher price because baby formula is a necessity for some parents. 

• You are right it is a huge necessity. I hate that people resell it. 

• I've seen many people on social media complaining about formula shortage, and selling it for more money is just disrespectful. Some babies need formula and cant get it from there mom. Going out of stock is scary and not good for a parent and having to pay tons of money just for formula is unreasonable and not fair.

• I agree it's totally scary. And it's totally  unreasonable to sell.

• scalping any product is a scummy thing to do but to scalp baby formula is just a horrible thing to do and it should be stopped by some means to stop the shortage

• I agree it's very scummy/bad. They should do more to stop it. 

• I think that there are certain things in this world that you can buy in bulk and resale, like shoe. But i totally disagree with people buying all the baby formula, and reselling it for a profit. 

• Jaxon... ok then. Take out the trash. 

• I belive it is just very rude to buy fourmula and sell it online for a very high price, which is very unreasonable and selfish. Not to mention some babys cannot have breast milk and need that fourmula but cannot get it because of the sortage and the reselling. This sorgate could cause big problems in the futer so I really hope the reselling stops and the commpeny fixes the problem.  

• I like how you mentioned how some babies have to have formula. Some people don think about that. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker