Baby Born Twice?

When Margaret Boemer went to her 16 week ultrasound, she was never expecting these results. Her baby girl had a tumor on her spine. The doctors advised Margaret to terminate the pregnancy. She had already lost one of her twins earlier in this pregnancy, so she wasn't about to lose another baby. At 23 weeks, Margaret went into surgery. The tumor was starting to take over LynLee, it was shutting her heart down and sending her into cardiac failure. 

The surgery consisted of cutting the uterus, taking LynLee out, removing the tumor, putting LynLee back into the uterus, and then sewing the uterus shut again. Margaret carried LynLee for 12 more weeks (on bed rest). LynLee was born at 36 weeks, perfectly healthy. She weighed 5 pounds and 5 ounces. At 8 days old, she went back in for surgery so the doctors could get the remains of the tumor that they couldn't get to earlier.

LynLee is now 7 and loves hanging out with her sisters and singing to Taylor Swift. Margaret said it was worth every pain.

1. If you're doctor advised you to terminate your pregnancy, what would you do?

2. How would you deal with this emotional and physical roller coaster if you were Margaret?

Opinion: I think this would be a very hard decision to make. If I have already lost 1 child in this pregnancy, I don't think I would be able to end this pregnancy. I would do whatever it took to have my baby. I am sure Margaret went through lots of pain and tears, but she also brought a life into this world. It's a miracle, and she's the reason for it. It would be a very rewarding feeling. 

Full Story

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Yes, I think that is a bold move for the o

• If I had that gut feeling, and I had no other options, I could consider it a possibility. With lots of pain, comes a reward, it also can make that person stronger in every point of view. She wanted the baby so bad she didn't care if it wasn't going to be normal, but that didn't stop her from not trying to make it normal. 

• Yes, I think that this will make Margaret so much stronger as an individual. She has gone through lots of different obstacles that people will never go through in their life. I am sure she is a hero to many people.

• I don't think that I could end my pregnancy. You create such a special bond with your child that it would be very difficult to end their life before they even had a chance to begin. I would be a wreck if I had to go on the roller coaster that Margaret went on. She is incredibly brave even when she had to face tough decisions and I have no doubt that she made the right one. 

• It depends on the situation and what can happen to me and my child. If you really love and want your child then you will fight through any thing because I am sure once you see your child for the first time every ounce of pain goes away. 

• Yes, I agree. The first moment she sees her baby, she had to have been overwhelmed with so much joy and happiness. She went through the pain and the sacrifices to produce this new, precious life.

• 1. I don't think I would get myself to the point where I would end my child's life knowing I could have done more for her to be healthy. I would've done anything to keep her healthy and as perfect as possible.

2. I would most likely get upset with all the options and decisions to help me and (sometimes) the baby.  

• Yes, I am sure that Margaret got upset and didn't know what to do throughout this journey. It would be easy for her to just give up and give in, but instead she fought for her baby's life.

• I would be a wreck, especially after losing one child I wouldn't want to lose another. I would tell the doctors that they are going to do everything in their power to make sure my baby lives or there will be serious consequences. 

• Yes, I am sure that this was a very unstable time for Margaret. It would be so hard to go through this emotionally and physically. I am sure that she had a lot of supporters and people behind her along the way.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker