Baby Born Twice?

When Margaret Boemer went to her 16 week ultrasound, she was never expecting these results. Her baby girl had a tumor on her spine. The doctors advised Margaret to terminate the pregnancy. She had already lost one of her twins earlier in this pregnancy, so she wasn't about to lose another baby. At 23 weeks, Margaret went into surgery. The tumor was starting to take over LynLee, it was shutting her heart down and sending her into cardiac failure. 

The surgery consisted of cutting the uterus, taking LynLee out, removing the tumor, putting LynLee back into the uterus, and then sewing the uterus shut again. Margaret carried LynLee for 12 more weeks (on bed rest). LynLee was born at 36 weeks, perfectly healthy. She weighed 5 pounds and 5 ounces. At 8 days old, she went back in for surgery so the doctors could get the remains of the tumor that they couldn't get to earlier.

LynLee is now 7 and loves hanging out with her sisters and singing to Taylor Swift. Margaret said it was worth every pain.

1. If you're doctor advised you to terminate your pregnancy, what would you do?

2. How would you deal with this emotional and physical roller coaster if you were Margaret?

Opinion: I think this would be a very hard decision to make. If I have already lost 1 child in this pregnancy, I don't think I would be able to end this pregnancy. I would do whatever it took to have my baby. I am sure Margaret went through lots of pain and tears, but she also brought a life into this world. It's a miracle, and she's the reason for it. It would be a very rewarding feeling. 

Full Story

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Yes, I am sure that she was so happy that she took the risk and decided to undergo the surgery. It had to have been such a relief for her!!

• I am a guy so that would never happen, but if it was my wife, I would not terminate my child. I would probably be glad it was over and to have the baby healthy.

• I am sure it was a huge relief for everyone when it was all over with and they knew they had a healthy baby!

• I would try to see if there was any other options to keep the baby. I would hope for the best and pray that everything will be okay. 

• I think It would be very hard to decide because many thing can happen and I would ask if they have done it because and ask about the risk. Also I would do the same thing she did and go for it. Because it would be hard to lose another baby. I would just stay strong and know everything will be okay. and know that it will work. also just invite friends and have family stay with me and help me forget what's kind of going on.

• Yes, I think it would have been easy for her to just agree with the doctor and to terminate the pregnancy. Usually doctors know what's best for you, but she chose to go with her heart and to have the baby.

• I would definitely ask if there were any other options. The last thing I would want is to lose a baby. 

I would just try my best to stay positive and remember what a miracle it will be when LynLee is born. Anything to make sure my family and I stayed happy would be a huge help. 

• well first of all I am a guy. But if it were my kid i would not want to terminate his birth. I wouldn't know but i would do everything i could to have this child.

• Yes, I would agree that this story is more for women because guys don't go through this!

• This would be terrible knowing this is my baby and the doctor just wants to take her away from me before i get to meet her. I would hope that the doctors are doing the most they can do for me and I would hope my partner would be there for me. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker