Baby Born Missing Part of his Skull and Brain Defies Odds

Jaxon Buell was born one year ago without part of his skull and brain. Doctors told his parents, Brandon and Brittany Buell, that Jaxon would only live a few weeks. In August the family celebrated Jaxon’s first birthday. The doctors performed multiple tests and finally diagnosed Jaxon with microhydranencephaly, a severe form of malformation.

At their 17-week ultrasound Brittany and Brandon found out that something was wrong with their baby. They were assured that their baby was not in pain and that there would be no added risks for Brittany. The parents decided they would power through the pregnancy and deal with any issues when they arose.

So far the only difference between Jaxon and any other child is that he requires a feeding tube and is significantly smaller. A Facebook page has been set up and Jaxon has received 200,000 likes and $100,000 in donations.

My thoughts: If I found out that something was wrong with my baby, but they weren’t in pain or there weren’t any risk then I’d keep the baby. You never know what the future will bring, so you just have to deal with the problems then. I think that Jaxon will face some health problems since only part of his brain developed.

If you were pregnant and found out something was wrong with your baby would you continue the pregnancy?

Do you think Jaxon will have any future health problems? If yes, what kind?

Click here for the story

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well done Emma!

• If the parents were okay with the known disabilities of their son, then I would keep everything normally planned. I would want my son to have as normal as a life as possible and I would want the best for him in everything he does. I am sure there will be some obstacles in the future, but I think he will fight through it, just like he does everyday of his life.

• I could see that Jaxon would have major obstacles to overcome, but the best success and achievement stories come from people like Jaxon. He will obviously have some mental disabilities and since he doesn't have part of his brain he could have problems functioning as well. I would like to see where he is 5 or 10 years from now and see how far he has come.

• I think it would be interesting to see him as he grows older as well. The fact that he survived missing part of his brain and skull is amazing in itself.

• I would definitely still have the baby. If the baby is not in pain and it wouldn't put me at risk, than there is no problem. Jaxon will probably have some future health issues most likely concerning his brain. Therefore, the issues will probably be mental. However, mental problems can also affect the rest of the body so you can't really be sure. Every person deserves to have a chance to life so I think it'd be unfair to an unborn baby to be given up on when things can change in the future.

• If I were pregnant and the doctors told me that, I love love the baby just the same. It would be no different if it were born healthy. I would take care of it the best I could and love it more than anything. I also think that he will have very bad health problems when he is older.

• I feel the same way, I don't understand the people that are able to give their baby's up just because they have issues.

• I think that if I was pregnant and found out something was wrong with the baby, I would definitely continue with the pregnancy because I believe that everything happens for a reason 

• I think that if I was pregnant and found out something was wrong with the baby, I would definitely continue with the pregnancy. I say this because I believe that everything happens for a reason and that God knows his plans for you. I think that future health problems are probably likely, but nothing that he won't be able to work through.

• I would continue the pregnancy also, because I feel like I could work through any problems he might have. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker