Australian Soldier Killed in Training Incident

The man was taking part in a "routine" activity at the time. The army suspended all training exercises involving combat brigades. It is the second death of an Australian soldier in training since last week. Trooper stuart Reddan, 21, was killed by a falling tree branch on 4th of may while traveling in an armoured vehicle in 'Queensland. The latest incident happened Wednesday at mount Bundey training camp near Darwin. The department of Defence said "He received immediate first aid at the scene and was transported to the royal Darwin Hospital for treatment. The soldier was subsequently pronounced dead. Family members of the soldier have been notified. The Defence Minister Marise Payne said, "whether  on deployment or while training, the men and women of the Australian Defence Force undertake hazardous activities to ensure our safety and security.  

1. How would you feel if you saw a fellow soldier die while you were doing the same activities right next to him or her? 

2. If you were the parent or sibling of that soldier how would you feel that your kid or brother/sister died in training and not in combat? 

If i was doing the same training drill right next to that soldier i would be scared for him and me because i was just doing the exact thing he was and that could have been me that died. If i was the parent or sibling of that soldier i would be very sad and kinda worried for the other soldiers that he died in a supposed to be safe area and not in combat where it's supposed to be way more dangerous. 

Link

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Be sure to comment more. -10 late

• I would not know what to do. It could have happened to anyone so I would be thankful it was not me, but very devastated that it happened to a friend. If I was a relative I would be upset because they died in training that I wasn't worried about. I wouldn't of been prepared or expecting a call that he was dead. 

• I would feel so guilty and very devastated, it would probably take me some time to get over a traumatic death like that. I would be sad and would feel absolutely terrible about everything that had happened. And would probably question the military tactics. 

• I honestly don't know how I would react, I think that I would be pretty devastated, and it'd take me awhile to recover from watching that. I would feel terrible, but you also have to think about how dangerous this can be, and how they could lose their loved one at any point and time. 

• That would be rough, I don't know how I would react

• I would freak out and try and get him to the infirmary. I would request leave and go and get help for PTSD. I would start to question the military's tactics and my safety.

• I would be scared it I were next to the man that died. I think that it would be scary because he was doing the same thing that I was doing the same thing that he was and it could have happened to me, I would of course be devastated because I lost a very close family member, He was still training to fight for out country so I think that I would still be proud to say that my family member served our country.

• I would be very scared and feel very lucky to be alive, He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and was just really unlucky. I would be very upset and wouldnt know what to think since I wouldnt have been preparing for something bad to happen to him.

• I would be sad. Because the people you fight with are like your brothers. If they fall it hurts no matter what. I would be sad. unset, etc. 

• I would be very scared and devastated losing a fellow soldier and friend is scary especially when you witness it yourself. I would be very shocked and worried for all the other soldiers doing the same training. I would wan't to know what killed him or what caused him to die. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker